Author Topic: Ok, Accurip users and fades  (Read 3087 times)

Offline hoogie

• feel free to email hoogies@bnin.net
Ok, Accurip users and fades
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:54:39 AM »
When printing fades from AI, in my art the shade is from 100% down to 0% the question is to you all, is there a way from the accurip to knockout anything from 95% and above and 5% and below? I'm not holding from those percentages on my screen, so I'd like to give it a cleaner look? Or do I have to do it from AI...and if so is there an easy way of doing it? I'm a Coral user...switching to AI more and more...thanks for any help
Hoogie...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Ok, Accurip users and fades
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »
When printing fades from AI, in my art the shade is from 100% down to 0% the question is to you all, is there a way from the accurip to knockout anything from 95% and above and 5% and below? I'm not holding from those percentages on my screen, so I'd like to give it a cleaner look? Or do I have to do it from AI...and if so is there an easy way of doing it? I'm a Coral user...switching to AI more and more...thanks for any help

short answer, no. All the adjustments you can make will just make the bigger dots smaller so you will still have small dots (if you adjust the curve to stat at 5%, what used to be 6% will now be 1% so you will still have small dots).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
I have wondered this too-
How does one set the tonal compression then?
Preventing the saw tooth effect on 5% and under.

Thx

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
I have wondered this too-
How does one set the tonal compression then?
Preventing the saw tooth effect on 5% and under.

Thx

no quick answer. We normally start at 5% so there is no edge. When it can't be done, you'll have to get creative and add a color or something. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
Also, you may not be using the best choice of halftone for the mesh you are using. If losing small dots, you can do 2 things.

1, lower the lpi to what "really works best" on that mesh. Take mesh and devide by 5. That will give you the best chance if holding smallest dots.

2, for higher mesh counts, some people give a wide range of coating thicknesses as a required. For high mesh, it should be the same thickness no matter how you coat. The differences are (round or sharp, slow or fast).   Some who coat 2/1 will be coating sharp and fast while a 1:1 will be sharp but slower.

Bottom line is, if it's too thick, your ink will not flow easily into the smallest holes, especially on high mesh.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »
I have a really old (20 years) book called Photoshop in Black and White which explains this, though truthfully, I have not fully explored it. Open your curves tool; there are 3 eyedroppers there, shadow (left) midtone (middle) and highlight (right). Double click on the shadow eyedropper and the color picker opens; in the bottom right window "K" enter 95 and click OK. Then double click the highlight eyedropper, and in the same "K" box, enter 5. This sets your tools. Now to try it out, open a picture and convert to grayscale. Open the Curves dialog, choose the highlight eyedropper, and click on the whitest part of the image, this will force white to 5%; do the same with the shadow eyedropper, but click on the darkest part of the image, and that will force it to 95. Here, I use 85 to 90, as I haven't completely settled on it yet... click OK to close the Curves dialog and go to print. Your white will be 5% and your shadow at 95%, provided your printer is calibrated, no pure white, and no pure black... at least that's what I know. Pierre was right of course with his explanation simply moving the curves points around, you will still get dots below 5% that are hard to print...

Steve

If someone knows a way to do it in Illustrator, I'm all ears...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:01:44 PM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 12:33:53 AM »
I know this post is old but, using the desaturate  tool instead of using grayscale with curves with will retain more of the color info and possible giving you the halftones your are looking to print, but your still going to need to use the correct mesh count and lpi.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!