Author Topic: Oiling your press?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Oiling your press?
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Had a good friend come in the shop this afternoon, he use to be a tech and is coming by next week to go over our press.  Well the first thing he ask after he saw and listen to it cycle a few times is have you release the oil...ok I'm like what oil, the oil you put in your oiler, well I never knew you had to do anything with it. he said yes that oil builds up in your little air tank under the press and will cuz it to run funny, sure as anything I looked under the press and yep there it was a little allen screw, so I took it out and got 2 1/2 cups of oil out.  Have or did any of you know about this I know it was news to me...hopefully I'll learn more next week when he comes back.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Oiling your press?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Mine was leaking air when we first setup my press (just needed a little bit more tightening and was good), but I didn't realize it was a tank until now.  Thanks! ;)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:25 AM »
I did that once..on an old press and we got more like 2 gallons out of there  :o

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:23 AM »
I put an air ball valve on all the presses in that spot to make this quick & easy to do once every few months.

Murphy37

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
My M&R presses have a "plug" on the bottom of the press. With the air off and drained from press, we open this and drain any water and oil that may be in there. The base is an air manifold. Something to keep in mind when moving/installing a press. Watch for the plug when you put your fork lift,/jack under the press.   
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
You learn something new everyday, because I had know idea you needed to remove the oil, and he ask me where do you think it goes to , I'm like  ??? never thought about it.  Looking forward to seeing him come in next week and give the old gal a once over been long over due.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »
When I perform maintenance on my sportsman, I always pull the plug on the bottom of the base.  The threads on the plug are always moist with oil but never do I get drips.  Is that about right or should I be getting enough out of it that I should be placing a small pan under it?
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
Oh sweet lord I'm going to try this when I get to the shop today!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
Not positive, but I believe if everything is set and working correctly (line dryer, oiler, etc) you'll see very little of anything.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
well color me six shades of stupid....

(running to the press with a wrench in hand)

oh -and D - your embroidery machine will have one too...ask me how I know that....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
This is a good thing to check on a regular basis regardless of oil... if you see water in there, you might catch it before it becomes a big problem.... (usually means your air dryer is broken or failing)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
I put an air ball valve on all the presses in that spot to make this quick & easy to do once every few months.

Murphy37

That's how you do it.  :)

We were smart enough to put an extension in so it's out near the edge of the press, this will be icing on the cake.

Oh, and make absolutely sure you close it up again before you open up the air. 
Former co-worker demonstrated that in a hilarious manner long ago...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:08:42 PM by ScreenFoo »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Since you have a 1/4 turn valve on it... slap on a balloon when no one is watching and rubber band that thing on tight.  Then put a VERY small crack in the valve.  :)

Offline Admiral

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
Yep, have them on the bottom of our presses too.  The CH3 had over a gallon of oil in there from previous shop...

Oil should be dialed in correctly now and we drain it every couple weeks too.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
I knew that tank under the press held reserve air, but had know idea it was filling up with the oil from the oiler/dryer unit, guess it had to store it some where or just blow through your air lines.  I don't think it will harm the press much? but will make the press run a little funky or spit oil everywhere like mine was doing.

darryl