Author Topic: TSB friendly print Contest  (Read 5793 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: TSB friendly print Contest
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
I'm planning on 55lpi/22.5/elipse/225S, 230, and 280 (just for in house comparison purposes...I'll post whatever the consensus is).  10th print should have the kinks worked out I would think...

I'm already terrified to show everyone how bad mine will be :D

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
ok, color me 3 shades of stupid but. P, on this print test, what are the steps? are we talking burn it on a 230, print a dozen or so test prints THEN do a strike off and test that or do you test the very first print made with the screen? I don't quit understand all this fancy testing stuff yet...

tho goal is to make it as bright as possible (on the one solid square) and keep the halftones correct (the size has to be the same as the film. If you put it on top of the print, film should cover the dots. If anything is peaking, you are gaining). The pisser is going to be keeping it bright and keeping correct size. I don't think we could do that with one screen, so therein lies the challenge. I would venture to guess many a bold head develops as a consequence of trying to make it work (for anybody really putting in the effort). And it could be a most educational/eye opening print of the last year or two for majority here.

Maybe we should start with a black ink on a white shirt, that would be easier. . .

pierre

p.s. we hold the 3% and our 50% read 52% last time I tried this with black ink on white shirt (Richard dared me so I had to prove it to him).

Pierre, you are holding a 55 line 3% dot on a 230 mesh count? :-\
Dale Hoyal

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
ok, color me 3 shades of stupid but. P, on this print test, what are the steps? are we talking burn it on a 230, print a dozen or so test prints THEN do a strike off and test that or do you test the very first print made with the screen? I don't quit understand all this fancy testing stuff yet...

tho goal is to make it as bright as possible (on the one solid square) and keep the halftones correct (the size has to be the same as the film. If you put it on top of the print, film should cover the dots. If anything is peaking, you are gaining). The pisser is going to be keeping it bright and keeping correct size. I don't think we could do that with one screen, so therein lies the challenge. I would venture to guess many a bold head develops as a consequence of trying to make it work (for anybody really putting in the effort). And it could be a most educational/eye opening print of the last year or two for majority here.

Maybe we should start with a black ink on a white shirt, that would be easier. . .

pierre

p.s. we hold the 3% and our 50% read 52% last time I tried this with black ink on white shirt (Richard dared me so I had to prove it to him).

Pierre, you are holding a 55 line 3% dot on a 230 mesh count? :-\

not going to happen! 330S for that. I can get 5%-6% out of the 225S from what I remember.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »
Y'all have too much time on your hands LOL

I'd love to join in on the fun but damn I have some pieces of artwork that I've been wanting to print for months now that I cannot find the time to do let alone something like this LOL
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
You're exempt Danny. Wouldn't want you to make us all look bad... :D

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
Y'all have too much time on your hands LOL

I'd love to join in on the fun but damn I have some pieces of artwork that I've been wanting to print for months now that I cannot find the time to do let alone something like this LOL

Danny, it's one screen! you can find 10 min that it takes to do that!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
and I'll bring them all to Long Beach!

pierre

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
Could be a cool learning and skill building thing for members here. I agree with Danny, my to do list is years old! Maybe if there was a new "project" every quarter...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
Maybe we can use a favorite grayscale image, but add a 0% -100% bar on the side in 5% increments for the measurements... I talked to our head printer about this, he's psyched to give it a try. Now, to choose an image...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Maybe we can use a favorite grayscale image, but add a 0% -100% bar on the side in 5% increments for the measurements... I talked to our head printer about this, he's psyched to give it a try. Now, to choose an image...

Steve

that would be a good learning exercise, but the file I posted will tell you a lot more. You will see the quality of your RIP, how good it transitions from 0-100 (without banding), consistency of the opacity vs gradient and it also has gradients from 0-10 and 90-100 in 1% increments. On top of it all, it would be easier to compare the identical prints from everybody. Using a unique image would leave some to interpretation.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
so do we start with a black ink on white?

pierre

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »
Well hell what was wrong with my idea!! it was MY POST DAMMIT! ;D yall just don't like me no more I see how it is :'( really this fine, but I still like the idea of doing a 3 to 4 color print of the same art,maybe at a later date.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
Well hell what was wrong with my idea!! it was MY POST DAMMIT! ;D yall just don't like me no more I see how it is :'( really this fine, but I still like the idea of doing a 3 to 4 color print of the same art,maybe at a later date.

darryl

agreed Darryl, but we should crawl before we can walk. It is also easier to find time for one color print than anything that needs to be registered.

pierre

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »
I think this is a perfect starting point.  Once we have dialed in out film output using this we can start testing ourselves with more complex work, which will bring in a whole host of other variables we can work on together.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
everybody print on the Gildan 2000 so the readings are consistent.

I'll check them all out, but need somebody to take the lead on everything else. Any takers?

pierre