Author Topic: TSB friendly print Contest  (Read 5948 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
TSB friendly print Contest
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
Looking at some of the print's in the what have you printed, we all take great pride in our on print styles and the way we get there.  How about we all do this just members here that have the time and want to do it get a 4 color pc of art like a nice large size jpeg and choose which press to print it auto or manual using the same color inks in whatever brand you use in your shop.  Then post your printed shirt and the shirt has to be of the same color which ever brand you use and I think we all use about the same brands, I think this would be fun to poke a little fun at each others work and show off some skills that we might have and to make it even better send all shirts to maybe Frog and let him post each shirt without us knowing who printed what and vote, then at the end we get to bash and praise each others work all in good clean fun.  I know I'm in  and ready to be poked at LOL :-[ Oh everyone must print the same pc of jpeg art

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: TSB friendly print Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
I'd love to tie this into what I suggested in the What have you printed thread, where we document our variables and discuss them in clusters arranged under general headings.  After each discussion we could go back and print another round using whatever we have all learned to optimize and improve.  After a few rounds we should all have better prints and be better printers I think.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
no need to print many colors, one will suffice!
everybody prints the attached file on a gildan ultra cotton and I can tell you the results (measure with densitometer so no bias).

how about that?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
I'm totally in...

I like the idea of a 4cp, but I also agree with pierre...

maybe we do both?

-J

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
A one color like pierre linked would be a great starting point actually as it will help us lock down the variables associated with film output and gain on press.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
That's good P, but I would still like to see a 3 to 4 color print of real art and how people handle a pc of jpeg art and bring it to life using the same ink colors.

Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
Films coming out now P....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
no need to print many colors, one will suffice!
everybody prints the attached file on a gildan ultra cotton and I can tell you the results (measure with densitometer so no bias).

how about that?

pierre

LOL, Pierre, just perfect, or is it? The readings will tell

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
How about a few different categories, one per month? 

- 3-4 Spot Color Design
- Athletic Block, P/F/P.  White on black, no roller squeegee.
- Sim Process Greyscale
- Sim Process Full Color
- One Hit White
- Pierre's "I'm Screwed" Halftone Test Chart
- Etc..
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
so are we going to print pierre's file the same way for everybody?

ie: 55lpi/22.5/ellipse/230mesh or is more however we feel at the moment?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
ok, color me 3 shades of stupid but. P, on this print test, what are the steps? are we talking burn it on a 230, print a dozen or so test prints THEN do a strike off and test that or do you test the very first print made with the screen? I don't quit understand all this fancy testing stuff yet...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 04:45:03 PM »
The first few prints will be light Homer, they darken up a bit then settle down. Like Pierre and others, we run 12 - 20 before we show a print to anyone. So yes, I would run a number of them to get to the one for the testing. You can see it happen pretty much, it gets a little darker, then stays there and doesn't get any darker...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »
The first few prints will be light Homer, they darken up a bit then settle down. Like Pierre and others, we run 12 - 20 before we show a print to anyone. So yes, I would run a number of them to get to the one for the testing. You can see it happen pretty much, it gets a little darker, then stays there and doesn't get any darker...

Steve

thanks, that's why I ask because I know after a dozen prints we are a bit different than when we started...just need to make sure I know what to send haha

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
ok, color me 3 shades of stupid but. P, on this print test, what are the steps? are we talking burn it on a 230, print a dozen or so test prints THEN do a strike off and test that or do you test the very first print made with the screen? I don't quit understand all this fancy testing stuff yet...

tho goal is to make it as bright as possible (on the one solid square) and keep the halftones correct (the size has to be the same as the film. If you put it on top of the print, film should cover the dots. If anything is peaking, you are gaining). The pisser is going to be keeping it bright and keeping correct size. I don't think we could do that with one screen, so therein lies the challenge. I would venture to guess many a bold head develops as a consequence of trying to make it work (for anybody really putting in the effort). And it could be a most educational/eye opening print of the last year or two for majority here.

Maybe we should start with a black ink on a white shirt, that would be easier. . .

pierre

p.s. we hold the 3% and our 50% read 52% last time I tried this with black ink on white shirt (Richard dared me so I had to prove it to him).
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »

tho goal is to make it as bright as possible (on the one solid square) and keep the halftones correct (the size has to be the same as the film. If you put it on top of the print, film should cover the dots. If anything is peaking, you are gaining). The pisser is going to be keeping it bright and keeping correct size. I don't think we could do that with one screen, so therein lies the challenge. I would venture to guess many a bold head develops as a consequence of trying to make it work (for anybody really putting in the effort). And it could be a most educational/eye opening print of the last year or two for majority here.

Maybe we should start with a black ink on a white shirt, that would be easier. . .

pierre

p.s. we hold the 3% and our 50% read 52% last time I tried this with black ink on white shirt (Richard dared me so I had to prove it to him).

p.p.s. I should say, I hold that.  The new staff is still getting up to speed. I'd give them a 5% and 55-60%