Author Topic: Latest but not greatest  (Read 4115 times)

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
Latest but not greatest
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:15 AM »
Its not the most complex job in the world BUT it is kind of a success story in the making for this lad.
This is the apprentice, Rob. he has read and read a TON of your posts and taken onboard so much information as a result. As many of you know we have gone back to basics here in order to 'up our game' and embark on the continuous improvement route.
I pulled the more experienced guys off of the main press and popped the boy on armed with his new and grounded fundamental knowledge. He is skate crazy and was desperate to pull this job off, a simple print on black. He nailed it. The photo (phone) has killed the vibrance a bit. It is really bright, flat and smoooooooth. There will be a few beers for him at the end of the week. look at his face, utterly stoked. A great start for him methinks. ( I just need to get him to wash his hands a bit more often now :)  )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:01:28 AM by vwyob »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Latest but not greatest
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:51:06 AM »
sometimes the jobs that look the simplest aren't...vivid spot colors on black can be very tricky

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »
Solid print for an awesome client.  Congrats guys!  :)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
That's a cool story. Congratulations to the green printer, I'm sure he was really excited about having a chance on press. Maybe the more experienced guys will want to step up their game now.

Murphy37

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
That's a cool story. Congratulations to the green printer, I'm sure he was really excited about having a chance on press. Maybe the more experienced guys will want to step up their game now.

Murphy37

Doubt they step up. The new guy seems to have what you can't teach. Drive to be better. You can't teach this or even or expect it to stay around long if they don't exhibit the trait already on their own.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
Good print.  Do you mind sharing the print specs?   

Chris

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »
Its not the most complex job in the world BUT it is kind of a success story in the making for this lad.
This is the apprentice, Rob. he has read and read a TON of your posts and taken onboard so much information as a result. As many of you know we have gone back to basics here in order to 'up our game' and embark on the continuous improvement route.
I pulled the more experienced guys off of the main press and popped the boy on armed with his new and grounded fundamental knowledge. He is skate crazy and was desperate to pull this job off, a simple print on black. He nailed it. The photo (phone) has killed the vibrance a bit. It is really bright, flat and smoooooooth. There will be a few beers for him at the end of the week. look at his face, utterly stoked. A great start for him methinks. ( I just need to get him to wash his hands a bit more often now :)  )

Or at least only let him work on dark shirts, LOL!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »
Sorry for late reply guys :) 

Thanks for the comments, I have showed him and he is still grinning (especially about the hands/work on dark shirts bit lol)

Print spec?

Really basic I guess. Underbase on a 140 and top cols on 230's. All coated with HT fast using shimmer/glisten method. Double headed action engineering squeegee on the base and medium triple duros on the rest. Rutland ink, the base was Rutlands best of brands production white. We are still looking for a really good base white. This is the next thing for me to look into. Up until a few months ago they used one white for everything and it was pretty poor.

The biggest change has been that Rob has lifted off of everything pretty much. Light air pressure, enough drop to kiss the garment, inks mixed up with a drill/paddle, sharp squeegees, screens with around 25 newtons selected, off contact around 2/3mm. The print and flood speeds are still a bit of a headache. He is tending to run slower speeds but the flood is two points faster than the print  (3 for print and 5 flood) and its not a loose flood, its firm, not hard; we can just make out the image after the stroke, just.

Nearly all of this has been gleaned from this forum. Always open to further suggestions. Learning is an infinite process. Myself and a handful of the staff are knowledge hungry. Feed us  :)

Thank you so much for everything already
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:18:46 AM by vwyob »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
[quoteMyself and a handful of the staff are knowledge hungry. Feed us  :)

Thank you so much for everything already

Funny, I have always referred to the knowledge that is in abundance here as "food".  Good food.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 05:09:09 AM »
Good analogy buddy.
BTW We will be using you from now on for the seps. Thanks for your help with that earlier.