Author Topic: Mesh Finder Tool  (Read 2143 times)

Offline SteveS

Mesh Finder Tool
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »
Where can someone find a tool for indicating mesh? My printer has asked for one. He says he's seen these before and they're used to determine mesh in the case of missing information on the screen. I believe it is some kind of clear ruler type device that shows moire or something if angled the right way.

Any ideas? GSG says they used to give these out as promotional gifts like they do loupes but they didn't have any.

Offline KevWilso

Re: Mesh Finder Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
http://www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com/products/details/mesh-count-determiner

We stock these; ours is the A.WT. one; I think they are the only company still making them.  Good tool to have.

You just place the transparency on the mesh, and it kind of makes an arrow and points to the thread count.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline SteveS

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
Thanks Kevin. I just put an order through to you.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
Some may remember a recent thread in which some old codgers like me reminisced about our days with stat cameras.
When I took a class in Graphic Art Camera back in the day, one of our first lessons was making contact prints and a tool like this half tone line/mesh determiner was the first project. 38 years ago and I still have it!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
Saati has one
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline shurloc

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
We get stuff all the time from customers that 'don't know what it is' so we grabbed one of these little guys to hook to a computer. If you set it to cms or tenths, you can actually count the threads pretty easily with the still image and get a very accurate count.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFH3IN4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AFH3IN4&linkCode=as2&tag=myli0a6-20&linkId=NYZKHZIH6VPF3R23
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
I have one of those. Good for a lot of things around a screen room
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »
I think I'm definitely getting one of those...

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
I don't see how that would work. Is there a graduated scale in the image. A ruler of sorts?

Offline SteveS

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
We got the one from ROB mentioned earlier. It works like a charm.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
Just get marked swatches of mesh and a decent loupe. It's quite easy to see if it's the same, finer or coarser than a sample.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
Some of the old timers use the fingernail sound test, once again, having references.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline shurloc

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
I don't see how that would work. Is there a graduated scale in the image. A ruler of sorts?

There's a program that comes with it to view the exact measurements on a screen. Super easy to count the threads between your 'marks' and multiply it out. We've used it more times than I care to count with things that had stamps that were wrong or mesh that a customer sends in that has no identification.

With some of the mesh, you can even get a micron reading on the thread diameter.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
i've used the paint thickness gauge on ours before when i was getting conflicting results....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 05:09:31 AM »
i've used the paint thickness gauge on ours before when i was getting conflicting results....

We've done this as well.