Author Topic: Buying Used Equipment...  (Read 2009 times)

Offline ricras384

Buying Used Equipment...
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Hello all,

My wife and I are looking at starting a home based screen printing business and we found some used Ranar equipment on Craigslist. It is their "Package 1 Shop Package." We are so new to this that we aren't even sure what to look for what to ask the seller. The equipment is listed for half of the retail price and seems like a good deal, but we don't want to jump too fast. Here is what is listed for sale:

1. XPO-2426 Exposure Unit

2. V6100 6 Color 1 Station Printer

3. D-162 Flash Cure Unit

4. DX-200 Conveyor Dryer

5. Blow out gun

We would love to hear your suggestions and thoughts about this equipment, what we should look for and what we should ask the seller if we go take a look at it. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Buying Used Equipment...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »
Hey Ricras, glad you found us.

Well, as you read some other newbie posts, it will become obvious that this package has it all over some of the half-assed jury-rigged set-ups that seem so prevalent with many beginners. http://www.ranar.com/packages/package_1.html

That said, let me be honestly critical on this package.
The biggest weak spot I see is the single station. This will become evident to you when you flash. That one board will get hot, and production will slow, and you will have to work with the flash right  next to you.
That said, I managed with a single station Hopkins for a few years, but for real production, it was a struggle.

The exposure unit would ideally be a single, or point light source, but the vacuum more than makes up for that compared to most entry-level units.

Ideally, you have a little experience and/or understanding of this stuff and it is set up and can be demonstrated. If you are going in blind, I may suggest learning a bit before ever considering any equipment, so you can assess  it a little better.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:34:06 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
Well, as you reed some other newbie posts, it will become obvious that this package has it all over some of the half-assed jury-rigged set-ups that seem so prevalent with many beginners.

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
You're so vain, You probably think this post is about you

You're So Vain - Official Video - Carly Simon

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
LOL.

Time wise I was the most relevant. :p

Ever seen that Colbert Report intro related to that?   "Hey Carly Simon, thanks for writing that song about me!"  Rather clever.

Offline ricras384

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
Thanks Frog.  Very helpful information.  We'll consider our options for a larger multi-station press, but we may try and get by with the single station while we learn the craft and gain some experience.