Author Topic: Cleaning a press  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Cleaning a press
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
Whatever press I get is likely to be covered by "fur".

What is the best way to clean all that gunk off?

I plan on using waterbased (Tex-tac) and not getting my press all gunked up with adhesives.  So I want to start off clean.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Cleaning a press
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
If you are not afraid of acetone it works wonders on adhesives and fur. Just wear gloves and make sure you have good ventilation. Otherwise if you want a green product try Franmars ikee sticky unstuck

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
I highly recommend Xenon's Xenzu-Pac.  It is an adhesive remover with a kick butt ink degrader as well.  I have people who use it for floor and press cleaning.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
If you use Tex-Tac or any other brand of liquid adheasive make sure you paint or spread it on rather than spray it on or else your defeating the purpose of avoiding spray adhesives. Dumbest thing I see people do to thier presses and thier health is spraying adheasives.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
I have found the best stuff to clean platens , and remove the adhesive over spray and the lint that goes with it is FRANMAR Icky Stick remover. 

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
One other thing to remember is test it somewhere on the paint where you cant see it. Different manufacturers use different types of paint and yours just might get eaten off with the tack and fuzz.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »
Definitely not spraying... nothing about that seems like a smart idea.

My buddy's printer was just telling me how it has built up in his ears to the point of not being able to hear!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
Ok... so I picked up my press... Antec Legend 6/4 w/ Antec Forced Air Flash with Auto Base... for $1500!

It's got the fur. :)

I've sprayed some "Totally Awesome" on it and let it sit a sec and it did take it off. (it's a buck at the dollar general in a spray bottle... hard to beat that)   I let it stand for a min or so and came off pretty easy but I am spraying straight.  Not many uses that it recommends "straight"... most are 10:1 some are 5:1 dilution.

I sprayed some on the painted top and it does make the paper towel come off "pinkish"... but then again so does just straight rubbing with the paper towel... so maybe the adhesive has already caused the paint to "mix".

Anyone have any experience with this product?  How would you recommend using it?  If at all.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Ok... so I picked up my press... Antec Legend 6/4 w/ Antec Forced Air Flash with Auto Base... for $1500!

Congrats on the press and the dryer. You will love both of them. I have the same set-up.
Mine was pretty clean so I do not know what to recommend. Contact Dave Peterson at Antec 800-552-6832, get the serial number from under the press and let him know. He will put you in the system and he will answer any questions you might have.

Good luck.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
You could also use Xenon's FSIC.  Or even try straight 91% rubbing alcohol, I use that for a lot of stuff.

Offline DanK

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
This isn't going to help you get the fur off, but to prevent it building up once you have the press clean, wipe it down with some sort of slippery solvent...  There was mention of no aerosols, but you could use WD40 (old school), or for a more progressive fix, something like Simple Green or a Franmar degreaser will work...  Just a thin coat wiped all over the press so that when the tack or fur does get on it, you can easily wipe it off.
Dan Holzer

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Thanks for the info DanK... I don't think I'll have future problems as I don't plan on using airborne adhesives in the future.  So except for ink or grease the lint shouldn't have any place to stick.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Enjoy the new set up! Its great feeling the first time you get a professional operation set up. Now go make some money! I just spent some quality time cleaning and tuning up my press, looks pretty and new again.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Wish I had the time to really kick back and enjoy it... but already got people breathing down my necks for a few small jobs. LOL

Might have to hobble together something to get printing ASAP :)

I got my maid working on cleaning the press today probably... guess we'll go with that "totally awesome" stuff and not let it sit too long.