Author Topic: Wet Seal closing 2/3 of stores  (Read 2554 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Wet Seal closing 2/3 of stores
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
Another victim of mall implosion. 300 stores closing costing 3,700 jobs. I know who does their printing and it won't even make a tiny dent for them but still sucks.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Wet Seal closing 2/3 of stores
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
malls for the most part are dying...with exception of latino shopping malls...they are booming.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »
Our local mall is over 50% empty......No sign that is will change anytime soon....Rents are just too high to get anyone new trying to open a store.....

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
The malls in Silicon Valley are full to the brim with open stores, packed parking and folks spending money like no tomorrow...go figure
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
The "one percenters" are still doing well....

Offline prozyan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
The "one percenters" tend to not shop in malls...
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
Our local mall is over 50% empty......No sign that is will change anytime soon....Rents are just too high to get anyone new trying to open a store.....

And what do the idiot landlords do? 

Why of course.  Raise rents to try and stay level which continues the spiral of driving more renters away (or bankrupt).  And so it continues.

Here's a classic story from someone I know who had a local watering hole with pool tables, etc.  Revenues were down and the landlord raised the rent.  My friend had to finally close up.  That was 3 years ago.  Guess what, the place is still empty.  Wonder if the landlord realized he screwed up.  1/2 (or 3/4) of something is better than all of nothing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:03:16 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:18 AM »
i see that too, we have a place here called restaurant death row.  At one point there were 5 or 6 good/great places to eat...now there might be one left.

The rent kept going up on all of the buildings, so the tenants bailed, now there is virtually zero revenue there.  Doesn't make much sense.  It's been declining for about 8 years and it's been down to one place for over 2 years now.

This has nothing to do with "one-percenters"  you have a lot of young tech folks moving to places like silicon valley for jobs...very good paying tech jobs.

At least that is private enterprise...the wealthiest suburb in the US is now DC.

Malls have been declining for years, but also, if rent in them drops the quality drops.  Ever see stores and think "how did you afford this" or "that doesn't fit in here at all?"  I see it at our mall here, and it's clear the place is heading for closure...eventually.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »
Yeah one mall around here actually charged a percentage of sales too!
Can you believe it? Store after store left. It's like real estate / mall owners are so well off
or large they don't get it.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
That's what happened to one of the two malls here. Now the are literally demolishing it. Two of the "anchor" stores are standing amid the rubble. Strange sight indeed.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:59:52 AM »
I wonder how many of the mall/building owners are gambling against insurance paying off on empty space.  I  do not know the details, but I know a buildings owner can get insurance against un rented space....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Here in suburban Walnut Creek, we had a large Grocery store, one of the Berkeley Co-OP chain.
It seemed to be doing well, and was the only grocery store in walking distance (about a mile) for us besides the Gemco (now Target) with its Lucky market inside.
At any rate, it closed around 1985, and the huge building sat empty for 25 years! We all speculated that somehow, the owner of the property knew how to work this to his advantage.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »
JC Penny just announced they are closing 40 stores this year

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
It's more of a matter of architectural trendiness than anything. Phoenix area malls built in the 70s have been in decline starting at the last real estate boom here in the mid-2000s. Hipsters and Yuppies, if I may use the generalizations, are preferring a more "walkable" and old-school downtown feel to do their shopping and pub-crawling. This has led to a revitalization of old downtown areas as well as the trend of new shopping centers that are centered around parking lots, free standing buildings and outdoor walking lanes with storefronts facing them, rather than a totally-enclosed indoor mall such as the ones built in the '70s... which are being abandoned, torn down and the land repurposed into grocery stores or housing developments.

So the stores that anchored the 70s-era malls have simply moved to new locations. As for the one-percenters, malls targeted to them are still flourishing with architectural details being changed to match the new trends as well as new shopping centers being built in the newly built affluent areas. The other malls that still thrive are ones that border lower-income areas.

Wet-Seal is just finding it hard to compete with the new wave of 20-something stores like H&M and Forever 21, that are thriving in these new shopping centers, that's all.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
Just heard a car dealer was going to take some space in our half empty mall.....Zellers, a Canadian chain closed over 2 years ago....Knowing the owner, I am sure he bargained very hard.....