Author Topic: Compressor Maintance  (Read 1082 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

Compressor Maintance
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
We have an Ingersoll Rand rotary screw compressor we've been using for just over a year. It has low hours on it because I got a huge freakin storage tank when I bought it. Sales rep was by and was concerned that because the compressor only kicks on for about 5-10 mins at a time that the oil should be checked. He told me it's designed to run for at least a good half hour and not short periods of time. I've attached a parts quote he sent over, keep in mind I know not all these things will need to be addressed, if any, and he told me that. He suggested that I purchase these as a "parts kit" to have on hand. Why a tech wouldn't just carry these if he came out for a service call I don't know, guess I should have asked. The first line seems a bit excessive. I've had a furnace filter over the filter panel since day one and see no reason to ever have to change it. Aside from testing the oil what's to keep me from maintaining this myself? I do know my way around with tools, I didn't pick the name Farmboy by accident :-)
Thoughts please...Thank you!
Tees and Coffee

Online Admiral

Re: Compressor Maintance
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »
I couldn't tell you what to order or not (we just have our 7.5hp connected and turned off as backup) but I have bought maintenance parts and oil for our screw compressor from  https://aircompressorservices.com/

I am happy with their prices / parts.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »
Thank you, I'll check the link :-)
Tees and Coffee

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
If it's still under warranty have them do it.

Air filters a most likely fine but an easy fix or check would be to put a vacume gauge or pop indicator after the filter to tell you when to change them. You should be able to get the specs what the max vac should be.

The oil may not have a lot of hours but it's more of a water contamination issue.

The separator should be at least checked if not changed.

I have no idea why they are testing the coolant other then maybe metal. I could see them maybe wanting to check the oil for contamination.

As far as not carrying the parts I'm sure they service all types of equipment and to keep service parts on the truck would take up too much room. Unless of course he knew they would be servicing the unit.