Author Topic: Servo Drive Noise  (Read 1477 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Servo Drive Noise
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
The servo drive on my press started making a whining noise today, so I stopped running it and called the manufacturer.  It is currently being looked into, but as I don't have an answer yet and 4500 shirts in the queue, I figured I'd see if anyone here had any ideas as to what the issue could be.  Here's a video of the sound, which appears to be originating at the coupling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPBtwC-G3FU

Thanks.

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Servo Drive Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
Sounds like something needs a shot of oil or grease...something has to be rubbing or caught up in there...take your air hose and blow it out and see how that works, oh and it could be some bearings going also  good luck.

darryl
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:03:45 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
Sounds like a bearing or ball screw, is the sound coming from inside the box or the end plate. With the index locked is there and slop in the tables left/right?

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Sounds like something needs a shot of oil or grease...something has to be rubbing or catch up in there...take your air hose and blow it out and see how that works, oh and it could be some bearings going also  good luck.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing.  What's strange is that I can swear the oil level has dropped significantly on the indicator since a couple weeks ago when I did maintenance, and as its a closed system it shouldn't have dropped at all.  But I've been assured its supposed to be that low.  I'm just having trouble comprehending why there would be an indicator at all if it were supposed to be well below the center.  Pic attached for reference.  Will def try the air hose tomorrow as well, thanks for the idea.

I should mention that the press is only a few months old, so I'd be surprised if the bearing is already shot.  But it sure does sound like it.

Sounds like a bearing or ball screw, is the sound coming from inside the box or the end plate. With the index locked is there and slop in the tables left/right?

The sound is centered right at the coupling, but if it were coming from inside somewhere I'd imagine it would sound the same, so I'm not 100% certain.  I'll check with the index movement in the morning and report back. 

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
My Amp went out on me about 3 years back. It would not home in.  When I put the new amp in and got it back up, I discovered had a little grind in my indexer. Apparently my indexer screw got a little buggered up. I slowed down the indexing speed by about 30%. I have not heard a peep out of it since.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »
Sounds like our falcon did when the coupling was going out. If it has the three part coupling. Two large metal pieces on either side... in the middle with the 3-5 flimsy metal pieces in between see if some are cracked or broken.

If so order a new one...and keep printing away. Our press kept going another 100,000 prints before we had down time to replace it.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:35 AM »
With the index locked is there and slop in the tables left/right?

Checked this morning, its tight when the index is locked. 

I also just ran a few cycles to try and isolate the sound and the noise is significantly quieter so far today.  Supposed to hear back from the manufacturer this morning with some answers.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm looking into everything else mentioned now.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL