Author Topic: What's your take on sepping this?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
What's your take on sepping this?
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
I got this piece from a client, trying to do the less colors we can with the most pop and you know they want it on black shirts, what route would you take on this cmyk or sim or spot color  DC.  I was leaning toward DC of lime green, purple and light blue this would eliminate using a base white.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: What's your take on sepping this?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
DC would be the easiest, and the number of colors would depend on how precisely you want to reproduce the colors.  You could use purple and lime green only, or add in a blue, medium green, and even a magenta in a few areas.  Just depends on what your client wants.

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »
I would go 6 colors and a base. Green, lt blue, drk blue, yellow, purple, high white and a base.
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
What is this base thing you refer to? 4 colors flo DC

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »

exactly, I wouldn't want to base that.. DC flo and call it a day.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
Yay for thin lines and halftones.... Fun stuff... Halftone angles can end up destroying line segments.  Been there, seen fade outs - highlight sections - look like crap.  Anywhere you have your dots fall below 40% or so.  So, whatever way you choose, make sure you can expose a lpi - Or even Index dot - high enough to keep the lines looking good.

Fluo Discharge inks would look great.  Just remember you still need a highlight white for portions.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Underbase white for a plastisol print.
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
Least colors is the goal. I would mix 2 colors of discharge and say there you go.

Let me guess a 100 DPI file about half the final size. I get these low res high detail jobs alot. They Also want a minimum order, you know until they sell like a million of them.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

How much trap would you put on this almost 100 percent fine gradient line art type file?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
2 pixels at 300dpi and using flo colors on a white base the trap would basically disappear completely into the shirt.  I would sep this with two layers of each color then merge though, one for solids/lines and one for halftones.  That way you aren't getting huge halftones with weird gain issues due to the trap, and at the same time you aren't losing thin lines due to the halftones.  Takes longer and you have to be careful, but that's how I would sep it (with plastisol and a base, DC is a much better option here if it works with the garment).

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »

How much trap would you put on this almost 100 percent fine gradient line art type file?

2 pixels at 600 dpi. 55 or 65 lpi. That will solve your tiny line issues if you can get the art at that high of resolution. Makes for a bigger file but lets you pull so much more out of the detail.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin