Author Topic: Car Show '55 Chevy  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Clark

Car Show '55 Chevy
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
Got this project in the works, and my artist is documenting the entire build and is creating a video on the progression of the design.  The hope is the video will be an asset to help sell higher-end illustrations.  So basically, when you pitch the idea of the illustration we have a video of the build and process along with this particular car show's past designs that were done with clipart.

Here is the car that is being illustrated.  Against our recommendation, they have decided to muscle up the car instead of leaving it in it's original state.  I think that's unfortunate as the car by itself is pretty damn slick.

So here is one of the original pics.

and the initial sketch:

I'll update this post as it progresses and then post the video when done. 

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Car Show '55 Chevy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
Sure that car faithfully reproduced would be a great "model", but cool cars and CARtoons are like peanut butter and jelly, a natural, popular pairing.
I have no doubt that this will be a great project, and am looking forward to watching the incremental process.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »
To use an ex customer of mines logic, "This car looks like it was drawn bad. Cars can't really be raised up in the air like that without being tilted towards the ground and they sure don't use big tires like that. Just bad art is all. I don't see any scratchy lines in the photo of the car either. Where did that come from"  You must have not wanted to do this job or was in a rush".
Just venting.  :)

In real life, It looks great. I like when someone takes a photo of something and really spins it with an artistic flare. I think it needs a driver busted out of the top or hanging out the driver window tho.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
To use an ex customer of mines logic, "This car looks like it was drawn bad. Cars can't really be raised up in the air like that without being tilted towards the ground and they sure don't use big tires like that. Just bad art is all. I don't see any scratchy lines in the photo of the car either. Where did that come from"  You must have not wanted to do this job or was in a rush".
Just venting.  :)

In real life, It looks great. I like when someone takes a photo of something and really spins it with an artistic flare. I think it needs a driver busted out of the top or hanging out the driver window tho.

Hence the expression, "pearls before swine"...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline lemorris

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
Very nice

great lines

looking forward to more

-lemorris

Offline Clark

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
Here's the final proof that was approved by the customer.  We toned down the car alot, which I think was a good thing. The illustration and color was all done in illustrator.  Every time I work with Dave @ the graphic library I am more amazed at his work.  Any way, would like to hear some feedback from the car illustrators here.  I'm giving Dan a go at the seps on this one, and it's up to print on Thursday, so I will post up the final pic.  I am considering going with a discharge underbase to keep this soft.  It will add some time to production but might be worth it.  And Pierre..this is the shirt I am sending with Winston...would like your feedback on the final print.  

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:47:41 PM by Clark »

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:21 AM »
I think he did a pretty damn good job on the whole thing. As a car guy I would say that the one that is bugging me is the rear wheel. I would like to see more of the center of that rim moved back to the center of the wheel well. It just does not flow right with the car to me.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »
Here's the final proof that was approved by the customer.  We toned down the car alot, which I think was a good thing. The illustration and color was all done in illustrator.  Every time I work with Dave @ the graphic library I am more amazed at his work.  Any way, would like to hear some feedback from the car illustrators here.  I'm giving Dan a go at the seps on this one, and it's up to print on Thursday, so I will post up the final pic.  I am considering going with a discharge underbase to keep this soft.  It will add some time to production but might be worth it.  And Pierre..this is the shirt I am sending with Winston...would like your feedback on the final print.  

Looks great!  Post up the final print, love to see it!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
That's sweet! The chrome emblem for the headline is awesome.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs