Author Topic: DIY washout booth filter setups. Show me yours!  (Read 8482 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
DIY washout booth filter setups. Show me yours!
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
I have searched the internets high and low for a bulletproof and reliable solution for under say $200.

I like the idea behind these:
http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/m-10-manual-washout-booth-filtration-system/

Anyone know what the filter media is and where to get rolls of it?

I'm thinking of buying one like this (found a cheaper one but this one has better pics):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WentWorth-14-Pound-Grease-Trap-Interceptor-7-GPM-Gallons-Per-Minute-WP-GT-7/311248879934?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27706%26meid%3D462c429eb6504d759ae53136df008270%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D141469628478

And then adding/building a filter media basket for the top where the washout would dump into similar to the Rhinotech unit.

Any thoughts? Any other filter media suggestions out there that won't have to be replaced every week?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: DIY washout booth filter setups. Show me yours!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
im super excited to see where this goes, as i've been researching it alot lately!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
I'd start wit Mooseman's setup of a settling tank, from there your filtering options (if you still want more) are pretty open.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
im super excited to see where this goes, as i've been researching it alot lately!

Same here

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
I have the grease trap thingy shown above. I don't (yet) have a true filter in it. It does trap globs of crap, tape, etc that was going down the drain before. So it works so far for what we're doing. When I make some time, I'll try to do more with it.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
Here's a quick little video clip of ours shot several months ago, the room has changed a bit, but everything is the same for the most part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8g3uoqaw6cnqez/2014-09-26%2014.08.29.mp4?dl=0
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Sump under the washout with a window screen to take out heavy stuff. Three drums with a weir in the first two. First drains to second, second to third, then everything drains through 2 micron filter bags in the third and pumped to the slop sink.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:31:33 PM by Frog »

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
I'd start wit Mooseman's setup of a settling tank, from there your filtering options (if you still want more) are pretty open.

For those who want to know what Mooseman's setup looks like:
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=3238.10

I like that idea. One concern is will it fit under/next to a washout booth with enough height to properly operate? Looks like Mooseman's line is coming from a whole floor above the tank?

ANOTHER idea...I have lots.
Run the grease trap as-is with inlet/oulet as designed. Solids will SINK as opposed to FLOAT if they were grease, which shouldn't matter in out scenario as the grease trap inlet baffles to the bottom of the tank and the outlet is up higher so it should naturally skim. THEN after the outlet add a filter media to further pull solids from the water if there are any left.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »
I have the grease trap thingy shown above. I don't (yet) have a true filter in it. It does trap globs of crap, tape, etc that was going down the drain before. So it works so far for what we're doing. When I make some time, I'll try to do more with it.

Nice, I was wondering if a standard grease trap would work as-is. I think I'm going to buy this small one and do some sort of filter bucket after it to see what gets through.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
I used a 30 gallon rubber maid deal.. Pretty heavy duty, bulges a little but it's nothing that concerns me.  Other than that, I followed pretty much like he did.

Haven't had to empty mine yet, but we are a low volume shop.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
bringing back an old post.

my filter system in the old shop was a simple tube made from metal screen (think paper towel tube size) stuffed into the drain of our washout booth (which was a full sized porcelain tub).

following mooseman's oft-imitated lead of building a DIY settling tank.

found this link for a 3/1 pretty basic build as well. thought it might be useful to some people
http://ceramicartsdaily.org/clay-tools/making-clay-tools/how-to-easy-to-make-triple-stage-clay-trap/

Offline XG Print

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
We have the same type of Mooseman but using a 55 gallon drum I purchased for $20.  Very easy to set up and works like a dream.  I will take some pics later and post.

Offline dsh

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
I utilize a couple settling tanks, but the drain output from the washout booth first goes through a pair of pantyhose.  The drain splits into a Y, and utilizes both legs of the pantyhose.  I just changed pantyhose a couple weeks ago, and it was amazing how much crud was in the nylons.  The legs were all caked up.  It's a pretty cheap 1st filter.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
Why do I have a feeling this thread is going to take a nasty turn?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
I have been running that grease trap for a little over a year now. I need to pull the cover off and see what's inside and how much is getting past it. All of my drain pipe is serviceable out to the grinder pump that pumps it uphill into the sewer.