Author Topic: Anyone Have One of These? Or Thought About It?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Anyone Have One of These? Or Thought About It?
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:04:31 PM »
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-99/Tape-Dispensers-Desktop/Industrial-Automatic-Tape-Dispenser

Well, nevermind, just saw that 2" is the widest it will go.  Just thinking out loud but this could be awesome if it were fast and accurate.  Time and tape savings could yield a decent ROI with as much screen tape that we use. 

This EXPENSIVE one will do 3" but I think we're a bit too high in price to make this pay out unless it's super fast.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2590/Tape-Dispensers-Desktop/Heavy-Duty-Automatic-Tape-Dispenser
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Anyone Have One of These? Or Thought About It?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »
we use something like this:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-836/Tape-Dispensers-Desktop/Deluxe-Multi-Roll-Tape-Dispenser-3

put the 2" wide tape on one side and the blue masking tape on the other. Butt it against the screen and pull only what you need. Works pretty well.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
I still like my split tape dispenser and use it all the time. I think most people get used to guessing the right length of tape by feel. Rarely do I get a piece that's more than a few inches too long.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
With PMI tape the adhesive between the blue squares gives a bit of resistance so we just count those as we pull and it gives us the exact same size every time.  On a 23x31 its 10 squares for the short side and 14 for the long side.  I'm sure it definitely offers us some savings by not over-pulling (especially with the price of 4" PMI), but it does slow things down a tiny bit.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
Ours are mounted on walls and print station racks vertically

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
we have 1 3" tabletop standard dispenser for the screen table and then 2 more 2" models by the press for breakdown

i have another 2" that we use to tape work orders to boxes.

I could see a place for these, but I bet it might be just as fast to dispense by hand.  the screen butts up against our so you pull to just before the far end of the frame and you are set.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
We use the same dispenser Integrity posted which is the older version that Pierre linked to.  I was on Uline.com looking for replacement blades and saw the automatic dispenser and started thinking that it could be a great tool if it were fast and easy to operate.  We spend a lot of time taping screens, use a lot of tape in the process, and if I could knock the taping time down in half that would be the same benefit, time savings wise, as some of the higher end/higher profile pieces of equipment like CTS, LED, registration systems.  If it takes the average shop 90 seconds to tape up 1 screen the manual way, and only 30 seconds with the automatic dispenser then we've got a real winner for shops that do at least a couple dozen screens per day.  It takes me about 60 seconds to tape up the inside of a screen and then inspect/touch up pinholes and/or tape up the shirt side of a screen but it's closer to 90-100 seconds for my screen tech when he doesn't know I'm timing him.  So if we do 50 screens a day and can go from 90 seconds to 30 then we'd save a little under an hour a day just in taping up screens.  Those shops putting out 100-200 screens per day probably spend hours of labor each day just taping up screens and I could see an ROI of a couple days or so if the auto dispenser worked like I think it does.  It may be slow and cumbersome to change the length of the tape needed so all of this could be for naught.  I could see someone building one of these specifically for the screen printing industry and if the price was reasonable it would be a no-brainer to buy.  If it could dispense a 29" piece of tape in a second or two and cut it...man that would be sweet.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
i don't think you will see that kind of savings...maybe, but I doubt it.

the biggest time saver you will see is going CTS...no more pinholes.  as soon as they dry we tape them up and can print.  huge time saver.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
But Alan already knows that.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA