Author Topic: Holy Chit!!!!  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Holy Chit!!!!
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
Anyone ever paid $ 213.33 for a gallon of Wilflex Super Primrose?  Yep, ordered a gallon from Graphic Solutions and opened the invoice.... 3,2,1. WTF? Guess I'll ask $$$ before I order anything from now on.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: Holy Chit!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
Effin' crazy! The super lemon lists at about $95, mix in some some white and you get primose.
Dale Hoyal

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
You plastisol guys are carazy ;) Our avg price for colors is $35 white $45 after we do our thing with it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
Donnie I did that years ago just buy and didn't ask for price until I got pop, now I ask or look it up, my pockets don't hang around my ankles ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
Donnie I did that years ago just buy and didn't ask for price until I got pop, now I ask or look it up, my pockets don't hang around my ankles ;D

Is that because you've tightened your belt? (pretty bad, huh?)
Isn't that price what fivers used to cost?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 12:02:36 AM »
This stuff:
http://store.techsupportsps.com/products/epic-super-primrose

Shane;  The product that you showed from the Tech Support website at $104.24 per gallon was a Wilflex "Classic" series (Phthalate containing) ink that has been discontinued, and $104.24 is the MSRP.  The replacement product from PolyOne is an Epic Series (Phthalate Free) ink with an MSRP of $209.78. 

I have no idea why the Wilflex Epic series would be double the price of the Classic series, but in fairness to the folks at GSG it doesn’t appear to me that they overcharged Donnie or anyone for this product.  I will follow-up with my contacts at PolyOne Wilflex with  request for an explanation on why the new version of the ink is so much more expensive, and report back to this thread
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:38:53 AM »
Can anyone say mixing system? You guys would save so much money mixing your colors from a system than buying premixed. For some of you guys who have bought ink that way for years would be sick at the amount of money flushed down the toilet.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »
Mixing system saves so much money. It's not too bad of an investment to get going either.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
While I cannot speak for GSG, I can tell you that the reason this product is so expensive is that it is a NON-standard.  When Wilflex converted from Genesis to Epic, they reduced the STANDARD color palette from  almost 80 standard colors (not including specialties!) to around 50.  They continued to produce these discontinued colors as NON-standards and priced significantly higher.  Most large manufacturers really do not want to be in the job lot game, but rather repetitive manufacturing.  It is difficult to be everything to everybody!

Now, if you work with a Wilflex distributor that is an authorized color mixer, then you can purchase these products (and others) at a much reduced price than if Wilflex manufactured it. And to the folks stating color systems -- yes, yes, and yes!   Totally agree.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
I remember the last time I bought a Wilflex spot color, Super Red, Genesis series.  I remember my jaw dropping when I saw the invoice.  I was a silky smooth red ink, performed good, but I was used to paying half that for a gallon and I didn't really care to learn why it was so pricey, I just moved on to other options.  I think that's when I started using QCM.  Then a few years later, after some inconsistency issues we moved on again.  I'd sure love to get a mixing system, but the hundreds of gallons of ink we have would not get used and that hurts to think about.  We've got so many different colors already on the shelf that a mixing system wouldn't be used as much as a shop that doesn't have that option.  So I feel caught in the middle where either decision I make, whether it be scrapping all the ink we have already paid for and going with a mixing system, or continuing to buy spot colors as needed, means losing money short term and who knows how long it would take to make up for the loss.  Then I'd have to trust a guy I don't trust to use the mixing system properly without wasting a lot of product.  I think I'd become the ink tech if we did buy a mixing system which might not be such a bad thing. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Croft

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
Thats why I stopped buying quarts , the cost difference is not much from my supplier.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Okay so my curiosity was getting the best of me.  Knowing that NON-standard colors like this are so expensive direct from the manufacturer (Wilflex in this case) - I pulled the formula up in the IMS software using Epic mixing base and pigment concentrates.  The Super Primrose can be made around $70 per gallon depending on container size purchases.  This particular formula has a high pigment loading to gain the opacity -- about 33%.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
same thing happened with Vegas Gold after they discontinued it.  Over $200 a gallon, nuts.  You must make it yourself.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »
I remember the last time I bought a Wilflex spot color, Super Red, Genesis series.  I remember my jaw dropping when I saw the invoice.  I was a silky smooth red ink, performed good, but I was used to paying half that for a gallon and I didn't really care to learn why it was so pricey, I just moved on to other options.  I think that's when I started using QCM.  Then a few years later, after some inconsistency issues we moved on again.  I'd sure love to get a mixing system, but the hundreds of gallons of ink we have would not get used and that hurts to think about.  We've got so many different colors already on the shelf that a mixing system wouldn't be used as much as a shop that doesn't have that option.  So I feel caught in the middle where either decision I make, whether it be scrapping all the ink we have already paid for and going with a mixing system, or continuing to buy spot colors as needed, means losing money short term and who knows how long it would take to make up for the loss.  Then I'd have to trust a guy I don't trust to use the mixing system properly without wasting a lot of product.  I think I'd become the ink tech if we did buy a mixing system which might not be such a bad thing.

I used to do spot only. Went with union mixing system and still use both lol. It will take me forever to use all the different spots I have laying around in quart containers that were randomly eye-mixed to get a certain shade. Or I may just scrap them when I move because I don't want to look at them.