Author Topic: Script for placing registration marks in Illustrator  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Script for placing registration marks in Illustrator
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:17:10 AM »
Just wondering if there is a script or a simple way of automatically placing my own registration marks around any document  in Illustrator. Right now I find myself placing them manually around the artwork but I`m sure this can be somehow automated? Any ideas anyone?

Offline Racer Tees

Re: Script for placing registration marks in Illustrator
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »
I made a file with the reg marks and legend on their own layers.  Copy/Paste art/seps into the art layer and edit the text/colors in the legend and hit save.  I've found that keeping the reg marks uniform job to bot and keeping 1 film with just reg marks to tape to a pallet makes setup quicker.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:16:38 AM »
Set up a sheet to match your film, place your registration marks wherever you want, and save it as a template. You can have other items on other layers and in the preferences for those layers have them not print. The attached is the one I use. The heavy black outline, the blue "field" and the red guides do not print. The black outline is my pallet. The blue field represents roughly the "imagable" area of my film, and the guides are, well, just guides. I printed one out and have it on my set-up board with three registration posts for my screens to butt up against. All artwork, including Photoshop art seps, are placed on this template.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:24 AM »
We have an Illustrator template saved with the register marks and placement options set up similar to the one above from Tom. Templates open as untitled documents, so you can't save over them, they are always safe. Drop the art in place and move the register marks around if needed. Pretty convenient, I gotta say.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline artprofile

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
can be fit?

unzip -> \Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5 \Presets\en_GB\Scripts

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
I had been looking for a solution to this when I came across this old thread. The above script works and is useful, but I like to have center marks. I managed to find one that is much more customizable. You can easily place the marks anywhere and adjust the size. I thought I'd share in case anyone was still looking for a way to do this. Install is the same as the instructions from artprofile. https://sites.google.com/site/dtpscripting/illustrator-scripts/makeregmarksai

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
I have what I call a blank shirt file that I keep on my desktop. When I start a job I open that file and go from there. I have reg marks in this file and I also have matching reg marks on one shirtboard on the press. I'm a one man shop and my expo unit is only a couple of steps from the press so I just line the film up on the shirtboard reg marks and put the unexposed screen in the clamps and tape the art on there. After I burn the screen I line up the reg marks on the shirtboard with each screen when I set up to print. I've found this to cut down on my set up time. I've also gone to .5 pt reg mark lines, I used to use fat lines and that has also made my set ups faster. My blank file also has layers with type on a circle path, both top and bottom so when I need that for a job I can just click that layer and roll.