Author Topic: What do you think.  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
What do you think.
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »
So we get a call from a screen printer wanting us to do some Digital printing for them.....
1000 white shirts....... One color black print...........

Ready.......

1000 different QR codes, one for each shirt, full front!

Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: What do you think.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
Cha-ching!
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
Just thirty minutes ago I just had a similar discussion, for 500 different one-offs. Warned them that the quantity discount thing starts getting a little skewed when each one requires its own art for output.
The other problem with DTG or Transfers is that they are somewhat labor intensive and don't really benefit from quantities like a quick couple of hours on an auto after art, screens and set up.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:42:01 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
that will take you days....I hate DTG...

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
So we get a call from a screen printer wanting us to do some Digital printing for them.....
1000 white shirts....... One color black print...........

Ready.......

1000 different QR codes, one for each shirt, full front!
'
Your're gonna be busy!

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
Actually Our Viper prints 16" X 45" and these designs @ 7X7 will run 4 up.......

2 & 1/2 to 3- 8 hour days.......

I'm with Pitman    CHA CHING!

We just did a  160 piece run in a day.... 2 up   $15.00 bucks a pop..... no screens, no set up, no ink mixing, no art separation or films.....
Do the math!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
What are they going to pay per shirt?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
Was that 160pc run on darks I hope?  I can do 160 lights in 3 hours on the Brother.

I love DTG.  I make more on that than anything else.  The margins are awesome.  I get more jobs from it because when customers HAVE to have a ton of colors on few shirts, it's hands down the easiest way to go. 

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:31:28 AM »
Was that 160pc run on darks I hope?  I can do 160 lights in 3 hours on the Brother.

I love DTG.  I make more on that than anything else.  The margins are awesome.  I get more jobs from it because when customers HAVE to have a ton of colors on few shirts, it's hands down the easiest way to go.

I'm not so sure that it's easier than a digital transfer, but done well, it's a little nicer. (done poorly, it can be really poor!)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
The nice thing about the Brother is it's one and done.  I don't have to print transfers, check to make sure there is no banding, etc.  Then tape them onto the shirt.  I can just load it like a regular press and go.

It's actually about the same cost per print with a sublimation printer, and less labor.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
Don't misunderstand me, if I had the volume I'd be all over a DTG or DOG (sounds cooler, eh?), but now, I just have to live with outputting as transfer and pressing it. Probably not a lot more time than your process unless the inkjet printer built into your machine is a lot faster than my stand-alone unit.

Now, some jobs are much better served by a self weeding material which I hardly ever use, so yes, if there is a lot of trimming, you win hands down!

I can assure you that my consumables are a lot cheaper though.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
I wouldn't bet too much on the consumables aspect.  What do you pay for ink?  With the larger carts, I average around $.40 per print in ink.  I also don't have to use paper either.

I don't trim anything, ever, no need to.  So your consumables might be a little cheaper, but I would finish a full chest print on 36 pcs before your inkjet would even have the job output.  I print at a rate of about 1 shirt every 45-50 seconds on a 12x12(roughly) print. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
I wouldn't bet too much on the consumables aspect.  What do you pay for ink?  With the larger carts, I average around $.40 per print in ink.  I also don't have to use paper either.

I don't trim anything, ever, no need to.  So your consumables might be a little cheaper, but I would finish a full chest print on 36 pcs before your inkjet would even have the job output.  I print at a rate of about 1 shirt every 45-50 seconds on a 12x12(roughly) print.

That doesn't include loading the shirt does it?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
Yup, I unload the shirts before the printer finishes printing them and then I load the next one immediately after that. 

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

50 seconds for a 12x12 full color edge to edge is pretty fast for an ink jet. Mine must be twice as long as that, (I've never timed it)

Of courser, as I said, if I had the volume, I'd have a DOG, but right now, it's hard to find fault with a printer that costs less than $200 paying for itself every month or two.