Author Topic: I missed the city name and phone number on a 36 shirt job...  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Appstro

44 shirts. 2/2 color, white type under the logo is missing.

I just started using the accurip software and accidentally made the type under the logo a different color somehow than the 2 colors in the logo. So when I printed out the film the city name and phone number under the logo was missing and i didn't catch it.

I am still new to screen printing so it took me literally 5 hours to print both sides of the shirts. Probably an hour of that was press set up and registration.

The customer got home with the shirts and noticed the city name and phone number under the logo was missing. He wants to know if I can screen print them now and I said no, not really. I offered to give him half off the next run and he seems like that will be a while....I then said maybe I could plot some white vinyl and heat press the name under the logo since the original name and phone are in white too. I am concerned that the white vinyl will stand out from the rest of the otherwise good looking red and white screen printed art. Do you think I should redo the entire job to make this customer happy or just do the vinyl and hope for the best?

I am really discouraged that screen printing seems to take me FOREVER...To make a mistake like this is just noob crap but there seems to ALWAYS be something I learn every time I print. Just wish I would start making money instead of wasting time. :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:22:21 AM by Appstro »

Offline Hey Monkey

Re: I missed the city name and phone number on a 36 shirt job...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
I hear ya buddy. Yesterday was a simple one color job for me. 50 shirts. Should have been done in no time. Took me way longer than it should have. It's all a learning process.

Personally I would offer all the current shirts for free and then try the vinyl and heat press or just redo the entire run.

Keep pushing that rock. If you do not learn something every time you print I would be worried! You've got this!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
It is customer dependent but I would be SURE that whatever deal is worked out has the customer happy. This is a good opportunity to turn this person in to a lifetime client by doing the right thing!
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
set up a screen with just the city/phone number. make an alignment grid on a platen, bang it out in about an hour, problem solved...We have ALL done it, and guess what, you will do it again...ask me how I know....you could always buy/make some screened transfers and heat press those on too. Don't get down just yet, these are salvageable. 
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
Make transfers using the exact same white ink and heat press them. That is the easiest way to color match and line it up properly. Like others said, we all have done something similar. I had a client typo recently that I fixed in kind of the same way. I'll try to post it when I get a chance.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »
Like Homer said, we've all done it.

Missing is much better than incorrect, and with a little effort, it probably could be fixed.
Could you either post a pic or send a couple of us a pic to assess the situation and better advise.

Working a miracle could really lift you up in this custy's eyes.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
Yep... I was guilty of this the other day.  Almost identical situation.

I set up Brian "Binkspot's" lasers and went to town just printing the shirts.  Took me maybe an hour to print 50 shirts, but I'm slow anyway.

In the past we have done as Mimosa said with transfers, but that was a more critical location that lasers would have been tougher to use (though possible).  This information was from some genius on the forum that saved us from having to own up to that screw up... still owe them pizza for their shop, but they won't take it!

Get the shirts back and fix them... it really is an easy fix, easier than you think, and the customer will be super happy.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »
Ask your client what they want....In time you will find most are quite reasonable if they think they are in charge....Learning a "craft" can sometimes cost, so if they want a re-do best to just get on with it.....A "satisfied" client is worth a lot over time.....And just a couple referrals will cover your extra costs....

Offline Appstro

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »
I have never screen printed on transfers. Tell me what to buy and I will do it!!! :)

I was just going to plot some vinyl this morning and do it that way, but you guys seem like that's a non option.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
Do you have a picture of the art?  Doing it on press is faster than transfers and more 1:1 identical look.

Our transfer that we did was noticeably brighter and better looking, but only if you knew to look for it.  We learned PFP was probably too much when printing a transfer to be pressed with regular PFP ink on a shirt.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »
Here's the pic.

As I told him, a piece of cake to direct print!

Without the aid of high tech laser alignment, I have always done something like cut a piece of cereal box cardboard or thin neoprene the shape of the logo, mount it on the board, and just place each shirt feeling though to line it up.

This particular design gives you plenty of room to not affect your print at all, and a whisker off (as long as it's still straight) won't be noticeable either.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:26:16 AM by Frog »

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
Or heat press vinyl in black.......

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
that's a no brainer, and a perfect use of lasers...

other thing you could do is burn a screen with the original logo, and use that to line everything up by dropping the screen and lining up the print to it.

I wouldn't even think of charging the customer for something like this, our mistake, we fix it...

Offline Appstro

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
that's a no brainer, and a perfect use of lasers...

other thing you could do is burn a screen with the original logo, and use that to line everything up by dropping the screen and lining up the print to it.

I wouldn't even think of charging the customer for something like this, our mistake, we fix it...

Are you saying I should give him a full refund?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
Or heat press vinyl in black.......
although I do like the idea of "since it's a different material anyway, change the color as well", on this job I'd still be governed by my usual criteria of screen printing 44 pieces is more practical than cutting, weeding, and applying same. That is labor intensive. Even more so than the little bit of extra work positioning each shirt.