Author Topic: I hate Microsoft and everything connected with it  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
I hate Microsoft and everything connected with it
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

While my brother was here visiting, he updated my laptop with new IE9.
Ever since then, even if I do not use IE, when I browse internet on Firefox or Chrome, I get stupid pop-ups.
And you guessed it right, the pop-up window is a frigging IE9 window and not the window from the browser I'm in.
I tried switching between Chrome and Firefox and I always get the same result.

I'm getting really frustrated with this bul$hit.

Offline Chadwick

Re: I hate Microsoft and everything connected with it
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:49:47 AM »
Uninstall Ie9.
Pick one browser, delete the other one.
Everything will default back to the single program capable of the tasks, after a restart.

Multiple browsers can work, but tying extentions( flash, whatever ) to them can cause grief.
Especially with 3 browsers vying for control.
You also have a virus scanner.
Not really microsoft's fault, aside from they gave you the ability, and your brother messed with it.

Take a breath.
 ;)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:18 AM »

While my brother was here visiting, he updated my laptop with new IE9.

Nobody uses IE anymore. Period.

Uninstall it.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline squeezee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »
Sounds like a virus?
What virus software are you using and what are the adds for?  Are they of a dubious nature?
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
Sounds like a virus?
What virus software are you using and what are the adds for?  Are they of a dubious nature?

Using Norton. Pop-up are about whatever I'm on in other browser. For example, last night I was at my bank's site, I got a pop-up about that bank.

It is just annoying. I hate IE, but I have to have it to check cross browser capability on the web sites we do.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
I never liked Norton, in the past it always gave me problems, maybe try different anti- virus software?

I've used Bitdefender and Avast, both are ok, nothing special but they work.

My IE9 works fine, and my Firefox at the same time, I use both daily.

The notion that no one uses IE anymore is not quite true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
Norton sucks, as does Mcafee. Total system resource hogs.

I use (ready for it....)

Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's light weight, transparent and pretty much bullet proof. I've had zero probs since installing it years ago. It updates along with everything else in Windows update. Total set and forget.

IE - it's pretty much web designers that have to use it to check compatibility for the poor sobs that haven't discovered Firefox or Chrome.    :D

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
I use Norton and Chrome. I only fire up IE or FF when I'm working on my web site to see how it looks on other browsers.

To all you Mac users, my next computer will be a Mac. Just not looking forward to having to purchase new application software and I hope the Epson 3000 works on a Mac.

I've been using a PC since before Windows came out, and everything was command line DOS or Unix, so change can be hard :)
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
I use Norton and Chrome. I only fire up IE or FF when I'm working on my web site to see how it looks on other browsers.

To all you Mac users, my next computer will be a Mac. Just not looking forward to having to purchase new application software and I hope the Epson 3000 works on a Mac.

I've been using a PC since before Windows came out, and everything was command line DOS or Unix, so change can be hard :)

You'll wonder why you waited so long. Worth every penny.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
I hope the Epson 3000 works on a Mac.

Via Accurip or FastRIP yes (well, sort of, I never got stellar results with either using the 3k). 

Also works like a champ with gutenprint.  You need to spend some time deep editing the settings but I got results very close to the Windows driver out of guten. 

....but that's it.  If you aren't using a rip (you oughta be), the very best films come out of the XP driver.  For this I recommend installing Vmware Fusion and XP sp2 as a virtual machine, it works great. 

For your connection I've had an ok time with the parllel to usb but the ethernet is far better.

Getting the Mac OS is worth every penny blown on the hardware in my opinion.  It really speeds up simple everyday tasks, let's you work quicker and cleaner and, most importantly, allows you to focus on your job not your computer.  I'll pay extra for that any old day. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »

Getting the Mac OS is worth every penny blown on the hardware in my opinion.  It really speeds up simple everyday tasks, let's you work quicker and cleaner and, most importantly, allows you to focus on your job not your computer.  I'll pay extra for that any old day.

Depends. Everyone in my band uses Macs and I see them pulling their hair out all the time dealing with it. Mostly it's issues with sound recording software and hardware. I can't tell you how many times we've sat around waiting to record demo tracks while someone re-boots from crashes and tries to get the damn thing to work. This is brand new Mac Pro laptops by the way, with full hardware upgrades and hundreds of dollars worth of software.

All computers suck at one time or another. Saying one is flawless and carefree is a bit of a stretch.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »

Depends. Everyone in my band uses Macs and I see them pulling their hair out all the time dealing with it. Mostly it's issues with sound recording software and hardware. I can't tell you how many times we've sat around waiting to record demo tracks while someone re-boots from crashes and tries to get the damn thing to work. This is brand new Mac Pro laptops by the way, with full hardware upgrades and hundreds of dollars worth of software.

All computers suck at one time or another. Saying one is flawless and carefree is a bit of a stretch.

Yea that's probably pro-tools. That program is a nightmare. It's the IE of recording software. It sucks ass but it's what everyone uses. So your pretty much stuck with it.

I use MOTU with great results. Then i dump stuff to wav format if were bring it somewhere to mix or master.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »

Oh I wouldn't take it so far as to call apple computers totally flawless and carefree.  As a piece of hardware they're just about the same as any other well-built pc and I agree, all computers do suck and will eventually screw you over.   It's some in-built features of the mac os that I find to be beneficial for small, everyday tasks.  I also like the overall integration of the hardware and the gui.  It reminds me of the difference between mhm presses and other quality makes.  They all do a great job but one of them is more integrated by design.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
I can tell you Lenovo builds some bad@ss stuff.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

Oh I wouldn't take it so far as to call apple computers totally flawless and carefree.  As a piece of hardware they're just about the same as any other well-built pc and I agree, all computers do suck and will eventually screw you over.   It's some in-built features of the mac os that I find to be beneficial for small, everyday tasks.  I also like the overall integration of the hardware and the gui.  It reminds me of the difference between mhm presses and other quality makes.  They all do a great job but one of them is more integrated by design.

Not unlike Adobe's Creative Suite. Quark was the go-to page layout program for years until Adobe ditched Pagemaker for InDesign, got it on OZX first, and made interaction between the Adobe programs, especially InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat, pretty seamless. By the time Quark got the rag out of their a$$ with their OSX version everybody pretty much was using InDesign. I haven't seen a Quark file in 4 years.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .