Author Topic: Another round of questions  (Read 2368 times)

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
Another round of questions
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »
hey guys, its me again, i feel pretty bad not having posted alot and now having two threads back to back on the newbie section flooded with questions. But i am a steady lurker and when i feel like i can contribute i definitely will. either way i figured why not make this thread, the information you guys give is fantastic and i always love coming back and reading the comments. So again.. i have a couple issues or rather, just little things that have happened to me and i would like to know the reason behind it if you will. Also i dont have any pictures this time around so please bear with me, I know this is alot for some of you guys to read and actually give your attention to  ;D

FIRST
Why are my aluminum screens getting so bent out of shape?
My first issue i would like to bring up is pretty straight forward: Why are my aluminum screens getting so bent out of shape? of course when i first bought them they were perfect and would lay perfectly flush to a surface. However over time they definitely aren't straight anymore. I am the only one handling the screen so it really makes me wonder what caused this to happen, i dont really throw the screens around or rough play them at all.

SECONDLY
How can I warrant good vs bad screen tension without forking over money for a tension meter?
Seems like screen TENSION is a HUGE issue and one, that frankly, i havent payed any attention to, using my hand as a meter doesn't seem to prove anything haha. Is there any other ways to test if a screen has good tension vs bad tension?

THIRD
How do you guys properly pull off your shirts without warping the image?
For me, it seems like when i have a decently sticky palette and artwork that has clearly apparent straight lines. When I pull off the shirt because of the stretching going on I actually warp the image (and probably the shirt/fabric too) making for a very unpleasing product. I have tried pulling from the open side of the shirt up to where the image starts and then pulling the rest from the shoulders or neck line off the pallet but still to no avail.

LASTLY
Pushing off from my screen causes it to move is there something going on with my head?
Ok, for this final one i might just be a little to picky and asking for too much. But i was running a 2 color job the other day and it was setup perfectly, however i noticed when i was pushing off my screen head to spin it when i brought it back it had moved. After i took a look at it i came to a conclusion that a VERY MINOR touch from either side would move the screen. So after that i had to just push off from one of the heads that didn't have the screens on it. My screen head does have that straight metal bar that clamps down onto the screen so i have no idea how it could be moving when its clamped down tightly.

Ok well thats about it...for now haha  ::)
thanks in advance for any input

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Another round of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:34:10 PM »
Don't apologize for asking too many questions, more people than you learn from the answers. Plus sometimes it may even spark a 10 page debate!

Everyone is going to say it I just beat them to it, buy a tension meter. Period. Thank us later.

How thick are your aluminum frames and where did you get them? Having them warp is a wild issue! One I've never had. You use them only for screen printing?

The play in your registration sounds like the little screws that on many manuals are plastic, may be a bit worn down. I am at home now but maybe someone will be by their press and can snap a pic. There is a chance your press may not have these screws though, what kind is it? Have any pics?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
A pic of your press head and registration gate will clarify how/if this can be adjusted. (We don't know what press you have)

As for pulling shirts without distortion, it can be a problem with regular shapes like squares and circles, and you will learn how much less stickum you can use to balance out not needing to stretch and distort to remove, and still keep it in place during printing. Also, a few old test prints can mellow out that new stick aggressiveness.

What adhesive are you using?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:32:37 AM »
You can always use some baby powder to reduce the tack on the shirt board.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Precision-Silk-Screen-Newton-Tension-Meter-7-50N-/331526543539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d308598b3

are you pushing on the frame to turn the carousel? or your glass isn't flat on your exposure, too many weights on it...something is going on there...unless they are under mega huge tension. I know when I stretched my own panelframes, if I went over 30N, the frame would twist and warp..

put down less tack......baby powder over the tack is pretty nifty idear too....never thought of that.

type of press? using the old "hammer" style micro adjustments by any chance?  ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
Another round of questions
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys! Here's a couple pics to help

The press is a 4 head, 4 pallet M&R I'm using textac liquid adhesive. Definitely purchasing a tension meter (thank you for the link) and some murakami 110S screens asap. My aluminum screens are about 1 and a 1/4 inches thick which I'm guessing is standard. Thanks again for the input guys the advice is priceless.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:32:02 PM »
FIRST
Why are my aluminum screens getting so bent out of shape?
My first issue i would like to bring up is pretty straight forward: Why are my aluminum screens getting so bent out of shape? of course when i first bought them they were perfect and would lay perfectly flush to a surface. However over time they definitely aren't straight anymore. I am the only one handling the screen so it really makes me wonder what caused this to happen, i dont really throw the screens around or rough play them at all.

- Stop using your screens to hold up your car on oil changes.  Honestly, I've had aluminum box screens and never had them warp or bend.

SECONDLY
How can I warrant good vs bad screen tension without forking over money for a tension meter?
Seems like screen TENSION is a HUGE issue and one, that frankly, i havent payed any attention to, using my hand as a meter doesn't seem to prove anything haha. Is there any other ways to test if a screen has good tension vs bad tension?

For starting out, or early in the game, you can print some really nice images with some pretty crappy tensions.  While nice to plan for tighter screens, it's not necessarily the end of the world right away.

THIRD
How do you guys properly pull off your shirts without warping the image?
For me, it seems like when i have a decently sticky palette and artwork that has clearly apparent straight lines. When I pull off the shirt because of the stretching going on I actually warp the image (and probably the shirt/fabric too) making for a very unpleasing product. I have tried pulling from the open side of the shirt up to where the image starts and then pulling the rest from the shoulders or neck line off the pallet but still to no avail.

I reach in and lift the shirt up from the platen to loosen it before pulling off.  I see you're using tex-tac (a good thing), maybe try mising 1/2 with water to ease up on the tack some.

LASTLY
Pushing off from my screen causes it to move is there something going on with my head?
Ok, for this final one i might just be a little to picky and asking for too much. But i was running a 2 color job the other day and it was setup perfectly, however i noticed when i was pushing off my screen head to spin it when i brought it back it had moved. After i took a look at it i came to a conclusion that a VERY MINOR touch from either side would move the screen. So after that i had to just push off from one of the heads that didn't have the screens on it. My screen head does have that straight metal bar that clamps down onto the screen so i have no idea how it could be moving when its clamped down tightly.

Looking at the pictures of the press, I'd start back where the arm is bolted to the round plate looking for bolts not holding the arm stable.  Or screens slipping in the clamp blocks when you push on them.  If bolts are tight on the round plate try getting some non-skid tape (the kind with the sandpaper feel) and stick a strip in the top and bottom of the clamps to make sure the screen won't shift.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:34:54 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »
T shirts tend to stretch more from side to side than top to bottom...You might find it helpful to "pop" the shirt loose from platen two-handed (one centered at the collar & the other centered at the tail), gently drop, & THEN slide shirt off platen by the shoulders...Have seen LOTS of "square bar" aluminium frames dented &/or holes punched in them by screen clamps on press, but NEVER seen one "twist"...And plus one, unless you are really pushing the technical envelope, standard pre-stretched screens will have acceptable tension for most users...
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
A lot of questions, but we pretty much read them all if we can. I'll throw in about taking the shirts off the press. Don't use too much platen adhesive, or you will indeed be actually wrestling with the shirts. On the rare occasion that I help out on press (I'm an owner, I'm in the office most of the time) after putting down fresh adhesive (or tack if you will) I'll reach way forward and grasp the shirt from the bottom and pull up from there, then finish pulling from the shirt's shoulders. Once the tack loses it's initial stickiness, then I'll just pull from the shoulders, as there is a lot less resistance. If you're printing  a square or a perfect circle, once you pull them off the press, the background (shirt) is no longer stable and the squares and circles are out of plumb a little, which I consider the nature of the beast. Hang in there, all of your questions have answers. You can't eat the whole thing in one sitting...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't