Author Topic: DTG files and hexa  (Read 1323 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
DTG files and hexa
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
Trying out a new DTG contractor and was surprised to see them request RGB.  My guess is they have Kornit Hexa printers.  Anyone have art file prep tips for outputting to this colorspace?  I typically boost the hell out of images going to CMYK DTG as they always come in a little washed out from the file. 

Offline aauusa

Re: DTG files and hexa
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
This will not help much but we do alot of dyesub jerseys and we used to used a cmyk profile as it was what inks the printer has,  but after talking with wasatch and getting our color profiles matched for different fabrics we had to switch to RGB color mode as it has a larger gamut of colors.    I guess the color mode truly depends on how the printer is set up.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
RGB is the preferred colorway for us as well.  The printer itself can make the RGB to CMYK adjustments and you do get brighter colors from RGB.

That being said we really work within either.

The brother needs RGB for the white... 255, 255, 255 is blank space, while 254, 254, 254 is printing white.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
Trying out a new DTG contractor and was surprised to see them request RGB.  My guess is they have Kornit Hexa printers.  Anyone have art file prep tips for outputting to this colorspace?  I typically boost the hell out of images going to CMYK DTG as they always come in a little washed out from the file.

RGB should be  preferred for outsourcing DTG . It's closest to "Device independent" colour space. Printer needs to convert RGB values to CMYK using his ICC profiles for certain machine/substrate/setting/resolution combination.
If your monitor is calibrated you shouldn't boost any colours. But again it depends on image. For PMS colors we like to get them as PMS, as we know what we get.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
That all makes a lot of sense.  We tried using 4over for DTG and they wanted CMYK.  Even with everything boosted up it came out kind of meh, not bad just not great. 

I think any good DTG printer would do as you all say and have their RIP output correctly to the device.

I was just curious as the new one has in their art spec that their process "exceeds the CMYK limits", which sounds great.  Oddly enough they request 150ppi .png files....I sent them .png but at much higher res, 150ppi seems really low to me.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
they print fine at 150, i try and go with 200 minimum, but i've done 72 and that works fine as well.