Author Topic: Any interest in Direct to Screen (DTS)?  (Read 5048 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Any interest in Direct to Screen (DTS)?
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
There are probably many who don't even know of this technology, and others who do and merely drool with desire. Then, there's a small group of actual users out there as well.

Maybe they'll chime in.  ;D

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Any interest in Direct to Screen (DTS)?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
Dave has mentioned quite a bit on this subject on another thread, does someone want to merge some of that info into this thread, it's good stuff.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
I'm a drooler.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
Ding-dong-g-g-g
(bad chime imitation)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
There are probably many who don't even know of this technology, and others who do and merely drool with desire. Then, there's a small group of actual users out there as well.

Maybe they'll chime in.  ;D
I may in time

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
Okay, I am making the post, but these links and contribution were sent to me by Dave (bimmridder)
Here's a link to an article on the subject  from Printwear  http://printwearmag.com/article/sizing-stencil-systems#.Tni49KMniEM.email

and included the pdf content of material he sent to the author.

Thanks Dave

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:09:16 AM »
Yea.. this is next on our big purchase list. It's gonna be a few years still though. I wish the stupid price would come down a bit.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
What's M&Rs going for?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
What's M&Rs going for?

I think one of the models is in the mid to low 30's.  I think a DTS or a dryer will be our next major purchase.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »
I would go dts, unless your dryer is in bad shape.  It all depends on what you are looking for though.  I could see a DTS really speeding up the screen room.  But an oven can also cut costs in utilities and repairs depending on the age of it.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
Alan, how many screens are you making per day? On an average day.
Barth Gimble

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
Alan, how many screens are you making per day? On an average day.

We are averaging 18-20 a day now.  There are days when we might only do 10, but more days when we do 30.  I really think DTS would increase our production capabilities by a very large margin, but the temptation of a more efficient dryer is strong.  Our old Texair is electric and gas, and the money we spend running the old dryer is probably double what it would cost for a new dryer payment.  I'm really thinking we would save a few hundred dollars a month and have a new dryer if we went that route.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
I like the idea and all, but wonder how much film, ink and printers I can buy for 40K... for the less expensive ones I've seen...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »
If you're wondering,do the ROI. I'd imagine anyone selling CTS would have a ROI available. Plug in worse case scenario.No candy coating. See what you get. You might be surprised.  And it's not just film and ink! Imagine a CTS with integrated registration system. I'm telling ya.
Barth Gimble

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
The last time I sent a multi color design to Ace for transfers, I was surprised that they told me to not worry about reg marks fitting because they don't need them with their DTS system.