Author Topic: 92% poly/8% spandex ink  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
92% poly/8% spandex ink
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
I am printing some shirts for a team:
white 92% poly/8% spandex
ink will be red
I am assuming that being that they are white any general purpose red ink will do and low bleed is not necessary
the shirts are going to fit like normal tee shirts, not tight so I am thinking I am fine without a stretch additive
being that these are team jerseys (logo on front name and number on back), I was going to print it through a 110 mesh

If someone/anyone can confirm this it would be much appreciated. They are customer provided garments (grrr!)

Thanks!

Offline squeegee

Re: 92% poly/8% spandex ink
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
Correct, no low bleed or stretch is needed as far as I'm concerned.  I don't think you need 110 either, treat them like you would normal white cotton t-shirts.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
I think that since these are spandex garments, I wouldn't hesitate to add the very small expense of stretch additive for the added peace of mind of performance of the ink matching the stretch of the garment so that if anyone were to stretch the garment to its ability, the ink will stretch as well. What if they merely get pulled during activity, whether they fit loosely or not?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
I think that since these are spandex garments, I wouldn't hesitate to add the very small expense of stretch additive for the added peace of mind of performance of the ink matching the stretch of the garment so that if anyone were to stretch the garment to its ability, the ink will stretch as well. What if they merely get pulled during activity, whether they fit loosely or not?

I guess that is a good point. I have some in the shop, I've just never used it before. Does it alter curing temp?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

I guess that is a good point. I have some in the shop, I've just never used it before. Does it alter curing temp?

Not that I noticed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
I make a few different inks for performace wear. Mainly whites but an HD clear or stretch additive is advisable.... as Frog says POM

Offline ErinAllenLamb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
Hey There! Wilflex Stretch Additive does not effect cure temperature.It can be added as much as 30% by weight, but does not have be added at that level. 

I agree that I would add just in case it does require stretch.

Happy Tuesday!

Erin

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
Thanks guys!