Author Topic: Just shot a shop video  (Read 6325 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Just shot a shop video
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
had few hours yesterday to finally shoot something. Yes, it is a preliminary, the music is real corny (I could not resist) and it probably does not belong out in the open, but I need suggestions!

Lay it on, what needs to be changed and what needs to be added. ahem, yes, we'll clean the shop a little more for the next one. . .

pierre
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:18:49 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Re: Just shot a shop video
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:25:33 PM »
Please don't take this as "Dick".

Were you meaning to be artsy fartsy showing the whole thing? Or did you want someone who doesn't know about your company to watch it?

If so...you need Uptempo, catch your readers attention and keep it. Who cares about putting squeegees in? Viewers don't care about art printing, they care about a glimpse of the cool machines and mostly  you as the owner and t-shirts you have printed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKA3B673Ggo
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
not taking it that way, thanx for the feedback!!!

this is supposed to be "this is how we do it" video, I am about to put something together showing off the prints.

'not much thought has gone into the story, it was just a bunch of shots put together. . .

yeah, faster music is needed, no doubt about that. Many shots are too long and some stuff is missing. Needs the exposure and back of the dryer at the minimum.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
I loved(!) the music, but I'm a musician. (Classical training) I made my living for 15 years teaching kids how to play and enjoy music such as this. As long as the quality is there, I'm fine with most every musical choice, except rap and whiny, nasal sounding country.

No helpful criticism from me, sorry. I wasn't expecting a blockbuster, 30 million dollar opening weekend.

I just felt like I took The Nickle Tour through your shop, and I plan to watch it again, but I need to finish reclaiming first.

Stan

And Lucky, was that you and your shop?  Seems like I remember you are in KC...  I oughta stop by sometime.  Looks like you've got quite the setup!  I'm about 3 hours from KC.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
Only one guy with a pony tail and no evidence of beer? That ain't no screen printin' shop. J/K  . . . sorta.
Shots of a multicolor print being printed, maybe from computer screen to finished print,  and a little faster would be a little more exciting and more illustrative. Can't say that your shop needed cleaning. It looked pretty good to me. Nice press.
One thing I noticed on your credits was "Blue Monn Promotional" . . . a typo?
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
Pierre,

I think since you guys print much cooler stuff than we do you should mainly focus on that. Less on the process. Maybe a separate video with narration explaining the process.

Crooked, Nope! That's something M&R posted.

I am in KC, and you are willing to stop by and play with whatever you want. I'm usually there on weekends too.
14c falcon
10c sports
i-image
starlight
etc

I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
Only one guy with a pony tail and no evidence of beer? That ain't no screen printin' shop. J/K  . . . sorta.
Shots of a multicolor print being printed, maybe from computer screen to finished print,  and a little faster would be a little more exciting and more illustrative. Can't say that your shop needed cleaning. It looked pretty good to me. Nice press.

thanx! fixed the typo localy, but will have to push out when I come back on Thursday.

yes, a nice multicolor will look better.

how long should a video like this be?

pierre

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »
I think it's a pretty cool video. I think it would benefit from some editing. I would edit each "step" down to a much shorter scene, showing just the most interesting part (e.g. edit out the part where we are staring at the computer graphics program but nothing is really happening, and the part where the print head is moving back and forth but nothing is coming out, etc. I think it would be cool to have the end to end process covered in like 60 seconds, and then spend the rest of the video showing off cool things you have printed.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »

thanx! fixed the typo localy, but will have to push out when I come back on Thursday.

yes, a nice multicolor will look better.

how long should a video like this be?

pierre

I'm no Michaelangelo Antonioni, but I'd cut the screen washing and coating.  Again, a quick view of your art guy with a great graphic on his monitor, then really quick film and exposure, with the emphasis on quick. Show ONE exposed screen, or maybe the whole lot of screens of a complex job in quick, QUICK succession, then show your press pounding out a few of the colors being laid down, then the dude with the ponytail snapping the shirt off the screen and pitching it on the dryer, then taking a sip of his beer (okay, maybe skip the sip), and the shirt coming out the other end and hold it up for all to behold.
Others have done this kind of thing, but you're head and shoulders above a lot of us shlubs. Show it, man.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »
P your vid darn near put me to sleep, you guys do some very cool stuff and you should show off your awards/t-shirts and talk in the vid....show some of the high end seps then the printed t-shirts.  I wish I had the nerve to even try and do a vid for our shop, but your on the right track hey and axe that music ;D

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »
thanx for the feedback everybody, I'll make most of the suggestions happen in the next video!

this one is a little long as it will be running in the booth during the show so longer sequences are appropriate. The version going out for the marketing purposes will have to be shorter with more upbeat music. Overall, for my second video and three hours with a camera I was happy with it.

'not big on interviews (there's no way around it sometimes, but I prefer to stay off the camera) so we probably won't be doing one of those, but something with all the cool designs is on the list.

'keep 'em coming!

pierre

RGB

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
     It seemed a bit slow and almost put me to sleep.... THEATRICS MAN!, put on a shiny jacket,  giant sunglasses, and a big yellow wig... yell and wave your cane at the worker guys. A big dog hiding under the table quaking with fright! ::),  Well you get the point, make it fun to watch.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »
The music is a real turn off;) Combined with the slow pace of the whole thing I did not make it through the whole video. Sorry. I would really cut the length of each section , have some text layovers, make some proper transitions, all simple to do in any video editing software. And I would get rid of the sound, just play music. I don`t think anyone wants or needs to hear the sound of someone degreasing a screen;) or the printer spitting out a piece of film. And the overall length of the video, well I would cut it down to 2.30 minutes max. I don`t think potential clients are willing to watch a 5 minute shop video.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Just shot a shop video
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
http://youtu.be/IDEqvjfN6PI

One I did last year but never posted  its suck vill but you get the idea for text

Roger
Www.rtscreendesigns.com
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:29:27 PM by sweetts »
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:33 PM »
I would brand everything in the video, shorten up the sequences and add text about what is going on. Employees in blue moon apparel, the screen getting wash out, blue moon logo, the printing,everything , should all be the blue moon logo.  Keep it short a minute and a half, maybe narrate or add an ending with a who we are. For the dryer section why not send down your best shirts ending in your logo'ed shirts.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com