Author Topic: Blacklight /Glow in the dark Ink?  (Read 8542 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Blacklight /Glow in the dark Ink?
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »
Hey guys thought I would ask this before I start my search, had a customer ask me about printing and ink that would glow under black light.  I have some Photochromic inks in stock, who makes the best Phosphorescent ink other than union ink for dark shirts( they want black tees)  black tees must be in this year, we have sold a bunch of them.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Blacklight /Glow in the dark Ink?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
Pretty much all the usual suspects carry a Phos ink. I used to buy the powder and make my own stronger version. Best printed over a base.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Make sure to let your customers know how long they glow on average. I almost had to take back 500 shirts because they glowed only for 5 to 7 minutes. It was my first big order and I never even thought to check how long they glowed. I was just glad that when I printed them they glowed. Turns out that almost all of the affordable screen printing inks on the market glow around the same time. (5 to 12 mins) It really depends on how much ink you lay down. The more ink the longer they glow. You have to underbase the ink with white on black shirts or they will not glow.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
If not printing on white, a base is just about required. The coarser the mesh, the better. Nothing finer than a 110. I've used an 86.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Make sure to let your customers know how long they glow on average. I almost had to take back 500 shirts because they glowed only for 5 to 7 minutes. It was my first big order and I never even thought to check how long they glowed. I was just glad that when I printed them they glowed. Turns out that almost all of the affordable screen printing inks on the market glow around the same time. (5 to 12 mins) It really depends on how much ink you lay down. The more ink the longer they glow. You have to underbase the ink with white on black shirts or they will not glow.

Not the same problem here as these are performing under black lights.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Thanks that is what I was asking about, but didn't really state it, a good underbase will work the magic, cool...these are college kids wanting to do a shirt for some party they are having....in the dark with glow in the dark shirts hmmmm.

Darryl

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »
Now you're making me out to be a liar. Will these need to glow in the dark, or under black lights?

As pointed out, many commercial glow in the dark powders or pre-mixes don't glow as long as people hope, but under black lights glow lke crazy!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Naw Frog you are correct they want them to glow under blacklight.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »
Most flourescents also glow under black light as well, if you have one look at your flourescent inks in the dark but under blacklight.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
the unioin black light clear is a clear gel that glows bright white under black light. If they are looking for a party effect, the BLC is a much better choice. Print it as you would any regular gel.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:58:40 AM »
the unioin black light clear is a clear gel that glows bright white under black light. If they are looking for a party effect, the BLC is a much better choice. Print it as you would any regular gel.

pierre

Pierre,

What does it do if you print the BLC over a color? Does it glow the color its over? I have a client that does Cosmic Bingo and they want something cool like that. Let me know the different things you can do with it? Thanks in advanced.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:59 AM »

pierre

Pierre,

What does it do if you print the BLC over a color? Does it glow the color its over? I have a client that does Cosmic Bingo and they want something cool like that. Let me know the different things you can do with it? Thanks in advanced.

it always glows the same bluish white color The underbase does not matter.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ErinAllenLamb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
Hey Guys!

I am not sure if this was clarified, but thought I would put my two cents in.

Phosphorescent glows in the dark after being charged by UV light.  Wilflex has three offerings.  Phosphorescent, Kosmic Glo and Ultra Kosmic Glo (or something close to that). As they go up in level and glow strength they go up in price.  They will not glow bright under black light.

Most Flourescent inks will flouresce (spelling) or glow under black lights. However, not all of them will. They will glow the color that they are. Just verify with the ink companies tech services if the color  you are printing will flouresce.  Like Union; Wilflex has a product that is a clear that glows under black light, but is clear and cannot be seen in regular light. IT is called luna clear and can be printed directy on garments or on an underbase.

Happy Friday!

Erin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Hey Guys!

I am not sure if this was clarified, but thought I would put my two cents in.

Phosphorescent glows in the dark after being charged by UV light.  Wilflex has three offerings.  Phosphorescent, Kosmic Glo and Ultra Kosmic Glo (or something close to that). As they go up in level and glow strength they go up in price.  They will not glow bright under black light.

Most Flourescent inks will flouresce (spelling) or glow under black lights. However, not all of them will. They will glow the color that they are. Just verify with the ink companies tech services if the color  you are printing will flouresce.  Like Union; Wilflex has a product that is a clear that glows under black light, but is clear and cannot be seen in regular light. IT is called luna clear and can be printed directy on garments or on an underbase.

Happy Friday!

Erin

slightly off topic, but Erin could you tell us what are we supposed to use to dilute the glow in the dark ink? I recently purchased some of the QCM's super concentrated stuff ($120 for a quart!) and wanted to reduce it a little. Should we use reducer or expander to make more ink?

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
Ok so the BLC I can print a white underbase and the BLC on top on black tees...sounds like a winner!

Darryl