Author Topic: DTG CMYK COLOR BUILDS  (Read 1476 times)

Offline SEPSINK

DTG CMYK COLOR BUILDS
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Hey guys!

Im pretty new to the DTG world. I'm working with a kornit and am wondering if anyone has had any success hitting those poppy colors on press and what color builds they use?

More specifically CMYK color builds to substitute for 185 bright reds, Rhodamine pinks and your usual florescent colors. Just curious what other people might be doing!

Thanks!

www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: DTG CMYK COLOR BUILDS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
I don't think you can hit 185 with CMYK. It is a limitation of the process. . . There have been efforts to overcome this by hexacrome system, but it never really took off. Many separation programs now include RGB with CMYK to make it easier to hit the full gamut.

If you are working with the CMYK printers, my suggestion would be to get a Pantone book called Color Bridge that will show you how close you can hit PMS numbers with CMYK inks.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
Hey Pierre,

Thanks for the input! Im current with all of this and currently use the bridge system.
Lots of DTG shops have color builds that they have found work better than others and drop in for those color standards that people are looking for. Bright red is a known issue with these presses and everyone has their own build that works for them. Just curious what specific builds people have had success with.

www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »
are you looking to hit hte 185 on the Kornit?  i think pierre was confused when you called it a press...to most folks here a press spins as you load shirts. ;)

I know the local Kornit shop here had Kornit come in and tweak the settings for a good red.

You won't hit true fluo colors...not with CMYK.  It's impossible.  You can do bright yellows, and green and such, but they won't be what you can screen print.

Does Kornit pretreat the light colored shirts?  If not this is a HUGE obstacle.  We pretreat EVERYTHING.  Our colors are insanely better.  Not just a little, but to the point where I am embarrassed of some of the old work we've done.  We use Image Armor light formula...works awesome on poly shirts as well.  5 gallons is about $250.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
Def get the bridge book,  find some good starting points and test.  I think some great reds are achievable in cmyk but given our freedom with spot colors as screen printers we'll always be a little underwhelmed with that color gamut.   I would talk to kornit! Bet they have some great values to suggest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
Ditto from zoo.

call the manufacturer and they should have some pre sets for a starting point and then you can tweak the numbers as you see fit.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850