Author Topic: Win 10  (Read 6048 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Win 10
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »
How many of you are hopping on win 10? I know we can get a free download, but I've heard it will mess up your browser and you got to reset everything... Pros/Cons and if you've already made the move is it worth it.  I'm still holding on to XP on one of our computers. ::)

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Win 10
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »
Upgraded at home from windows 7 Professional to the windows 10 version.

No issues with my browser - I use Chrome.  I did have to manually make it my default.

Other than that, no issues so far other than learning a new layout.....  But this is home use.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
XP, jesus man. Time to move on haha.

We haven't moved from 7 yet, but will move to 10 I think. I refuse to use 8, it came on our shipping computer, its terrible.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
Can one switch back? Or, what does it take to run dual OS?

I did read that almost all applications that run on 7 will run on 10
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »

We haven't moved from 7 yet, but will move to 10 I think. I refuse to use 8, it came on our shipping computer, its terrible.
yeah I know Brandt, but moving to 7, 8 now 10 IMO is more for internet use more than it is for running art programs unless your upgrading your art program's with each upgrade that comes out every other month LOL
darryl

ps I agree win 8.2  sucks, wish we would have just bypass it, but we are getting the hang of it now and now 10 is here LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »
we have one computer here on it, so far so good. it's cleaner than 7, a little bit faster on the older system, but not by much.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »

Ahah I remember Vista and 7. They were OK, usable. I am currently using Apple computers but had to buy a couple Windows earlier in the year. They both came with Win 8. NO ONE can work with them! Both people using them have Mac at home and are unable to even understand how mail works, they always log in on Gmail and use through browser.

For me, personally, I can't understand something as simple as the calculator or how to go to the basic home screen

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Mac guy here, but could get around in XP, and then 7. Got a new PC for the office with 8, couldn't have been more unhappy, absolutely hated it. Still do. For some reason I can't figure, I find just about just about everything Microsoft incomprehensible as a rule, but I know that's just me. I'm not a technophobe either. If 10 gets good results from users we may go there; not being from that environment, I always have found it to be unintuitive, but again that's just me. I just want to turn on the light, not re-invent it every 6 months so that I have to read a manual to turn it on. I hope it does work out better, keep posting everyone.

Steve.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Windows 8 / 8.1 is usable as long as Classic Shell is installed which adds the Windows 7 style Start Menu back.  It can also be set to boot to the desktop and not to that hideous and counter-intuitive Metro screen. http://www.classicshell.net/

On Windows 10, just yesterday bought a new laptop with it.  Still in the box, have yet to set it up.  Probably over the weekend.  If I have anything interesting to report, I'll post again.

I usually never upgrade a computer to a totally new operating system.  I always stick with the one originally installed.  If needing to use an updated OS, as is sometimes the case with my Macs, I'll install the new OS to a partition of an external thunderbolt drive.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »

I usually never upgrade a computer to a totally new operating system.  I always stick with the one originally installed.  If needing to use an updated OS, as is sometimes the case with my Macs, I'll install the new OS to a partition of an external thunderbolt drive.

How can us intermediate (non-expert so answer accordingly) Windows users do something similar with our machines and operating systems? Is there a way to take advantage of the Win 10 downloads, but just maybe park 'em and have 'em as a secondary OS, maybe just try as a trial run at least at first?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JJPrint

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »
With 8.0 ran with Classic Shell and worked well.  We have upgraded 4 computers from 7  to 10 so far without any problems.

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
If Windows 7-8-8.1 is installed, I don't believe its possible to download and install the free Windows 10 upgrade to a secondary hard disk or partition.  It basically wants to overwrite the previous system, although it is possible to revert to the old system again if there's an issue.  So in essence, Windows 10 is not really "free" like new versions of Mac OS X.  When downloading a new version of OS X, it can be saved and installed anywhere.

The cheap route to test a new Windows OS is to install Virtual Box https://www.virtualbox.org/ on your Windows machine and then install a new or different OS to it along with your apps.  This creates a virtual environment, basically its seen as a different system and can be used as such.  It works much better on newer, faster systems with at least 8 GB of RAM and plenty of open disk space.  There again, Windows 10 is not actually free, so you'd have to buy a license to do this.

Overall, Macs are much more elegant and simplistic when/if wanting to play around with many versions of operating systems.

If however you'd like a true dual-boot Windows system, a second internal hard disk will need to be installed and configured.

See this page:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-second-hard-drive-set-up-dual-booting-70976.html

Offline dsh

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 06:44:30 AM »
Could a person clone his OS drive, and then upgrade to 10 on the new drive.  If it doesn't work, switch back to the old drive.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
So far so good with win10 in my opinion. I think they have reacted to the backlash from 8 and made the new OS way more friendly for desktop users. Definite improvement. I hate complex workarounds, so I just upgrade and move on with life.

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
Could a person clone his OS drive, and then upgrade to 10 on the new drive.  If it doesn't work, switch back to the old drive.

Sure, you could do that.  8)