Author Topic: Thoughts on a new screen making buisiness model  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Thoughts on a new screen making buisiness model
« on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
Something occurred to me that much of a print shops issues have to do with art setup, color separation and also in the screen making process.

Now we know many of you here have no problem with making good screens. I can see tho, that there is a need for many shops out there. How about an area of the business where good screens are supplied for your specific high end job.  1st, lets say a business were to offer the separation service, and then, they also offer not just printed out film, but taking that a step further and offering a screen making service for your jobs. Now, I don't expect the target job to be your basic spot colors but more so the same type of jobs that someone might send a color separator for sim process. So, it's hard for many to achieve good seps, and it's also hard, to maintain holding that detail in the screen. So, what if there were a service that provides both?

If it were me, I would look at purchasing a STE2 3 head.  For the purpose of offering both Pure Photopolymer and Dual Cure screens. Then, you would have the ability to be fast/efficient and kick out many screens per day. It would take some time and some industry advertising to justify the need for the STE2 right away, but would eventually get there, just like there is a need for good sim process and process seps.

So here, it begins to level the playing field even more, by providing good seps, and good screens. All that would be left would be the skill of the printer.

Down side:
* Less opportunity on the spot to re-make a popped screen or correct an error (same situation for jobbing a sep out).
* Increased cost of screens to the printer. (could be near actual price of what the customer is currently charged).
* Time allocated in schedule for shipping.

UP SIDE:
* Increased quality of screens
* added ability to see the results of screens made differently. (similar to jobbing out seps).

I see this as being geared towards newer shops breaking into sim process (also similar to the current needs for sim process seps to be jobbed out).

Estimated cost for this service (screens alone) would be in the $35.00 per area + shipping.
Turn time would be something to be worked out due to the seps.

Thoughts?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Thoughts on a new screen making buisiness model
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
In a similar vein, but not nearly at the same level of sophistication, I have seen local suppliers offer a complete screen service.
I think that it was geared more toward the hobbyist or Newbie who wasn't set up make his own.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvieira

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
The way I look at the service you propose, there's a problem. The people you are selling those screens to.
Most of the time I imagine you will be supplying them to hobbyist who don't know much about separations. If it's difficult jobs, they might have a hard time setting them up and they will blame you for not having the screens aligned or properly separate or whatever their problem will be.

I believe you would spend too much time on the phone with people yelling at you, even if everything went smooth on your end.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
It might be tough for them to recover screen charges that high. Our screens have been the same price for over 10 years, which is less than my old company I left in '92 used to get (they're gone of course) and I still see people doing them for $15.00...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
I hear what you're saying.  There is the fact that separators already do experience "the blame game". So it's nothing new.  Sometimes, it is the separation service that can be to blame but for the most part, someones not using the right mesh geared towards the seps, the change the sequence, use thicker inks, soft squeegees, lay it down too heavy, etc.   MOST times tho, it's typically the information in the art that is lost in the screen exposing/washing process. It does take some time to decipher where the issues came from, but we usually get there.

As for cost.  I'm not sure on how to go on that, but in order to do a business like this, it's got to be cost effective yet profitable and work the time. I do already know many contract printers that charge $15.00 for films + $20.00 for screens. Screen charges are all over the place, like does one charge for a flash or not...and how much, etc.  Some charge art some don't. I see most of these jobs being "special orders" where the printer wants to pay a premium, maybe take it on the chin a little (because the returns will be worth it later. Maybe it's a good enough size order where they can eat some extra screen cost or maybe thy just want a really good print result. If it's going to be a constant re-order, they can purchase the screens out right.

Along with screens, would come suggested printing procedures/guides. I have already been providing printing techniques/trouble shooting for years, and so has Coudrey and people in the same area of high end seps.

I don't know. Just thinking and getting feedback. It could work out to be a viable business for someone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:50:18 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »
Ive never had a screen shipment that didn't have at least 1 damaged screen so that's something to consider.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
Yea,  I see there would be some risk to consider in several areas. Secure packing, heat/water damage, lost or delayed shipments.

Again tho, there are TONS of people out there that have even been in business printing for years that have just never knew to adjust there film output, add in a curve in the rip process or something that hold them back from great printing and they just don't know whats needed to get there. Just like in separation, many just can't comprehend the higher end of it. Something like this can be a good fix for many. Sure, it's not something that you will see a lot of other popping up doing the same thing...unless it's proven to be lucrative.  Not sure. Just probing. There are many businesses catering to those who just don't know what they don't know. Then you have the bunch that does know, but they just want the convenience. They are out there.  I don't know. maybe I'm just dreaming.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
Its a "could you/should you".........Noble idea plagued with issues

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:30:58 PM »
Tony, back in the day, Cal Process, later Cal Com on San Pablo in Berkeley offered this.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvieira

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
Again tho, there are TONS of people out there that have even been in business printing for years that have just never knew to adjust there film output, add in a curve in the rip process or something that hold them back from great printing and they just don't know whats needed to get there. Just like in separation, many just can't comprehend the higher end of it.

I could see myself ordering from a service like this a few times just to compare with our seps and screens and see how/where we could improve

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »
There's other industries that are still doing this... the local guy that prints on stainless steel control panels doesn't even own a computer... he charges his customers $300+ per screen... subs it out for around $150 or so... and then archives everything.

The screen 'maker' does everything for the guy, he just sits back and prints them...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »
Could work for basic stuff. High end.........doubt it.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
There's other industries that are still doing this... the local guy that prints on stainless steel control panels doesn't even own a computer... he charges his customers $300+ per screen... subs it out for around $150 or so... and then archives everything.

The screen 'maker' does everything for the guy, he just sits back and prints them...

We are about 4 miles from Bose, and used to do the panels for their test equipment (they designed and built their own). Always 2 or 3 panels, they would supply film, photo tools actually, .007" film, heavy stuff, and we'd get a few hundred a pop. It was nice while it lasted. That's a whole other world compared to t-shirts...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:26 PM »
This idea could work in a city with lots of printers, where you could actually drive the screen to them like a pizza order, the problem with shipping besides what other have mentioned already is time...most jobs we get need them the day before they placed there order :o.   You can never say never just when everyone has thrown salt in your eye somebody will figure how to make it work and make a profit.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
I really think for the most part it would work really well for the newer shops. I think they would be very satisfied customers. Think about this. Many don't even try "fine" halftone printing let alone multi color blending.  I've done it over and over with (new to halftone printing) sep customers. I've guided them in a few emails and a single test file sent, to where for years, they were just simple vector solid spot color printers and then in one day, they print a very good sim process (on their own). This is with guidance, proper separations, and then also having them do test in the screen process. So, getting there, has already been proven that it can be done with even the most basic printers. What I'm talking about here is, making it all that much easier.

I think for the majority or (sweet spot) of the jobs would be in the 4 color process work and the 6 color sim process.  A shop that runs 10-14 color press will most often already have staff that can provide that kind of quality due to the type of work they have already been doing to get them there to have a need for a 14 color press. With the 4 color process, once you have the correct seps, the correct screens, the rest is on press and that type of work relies heavily on the ink. So, since it's already thinner, and designed for fine halftone printing, it would be easier to achieve from a newbie.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:53:13 PM by Dottonedan »