Author Topic: What about phrases from movies?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline redwoodtees

What about phrases from movies?
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
This is one of my favorite three stooges lines: "I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!". Can I use that phrase in a t-shirt design? To clarify, I have an idea for a t-shirt. The shirt will contain original artwork which is in no way connected to or derived from the three stooges. But I would like to use that phrase as part of the design.

Thoughts?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: What about phrases from movies?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
I vote no problemo! Heck, I'm a Stooge type guy, and I didn't even recognize the line.

Of course, If the Donald had his way, every employer who ever discharged an employee would have to pay him to be able to say "you're fired!"
And of course, Paris wanted her share of anyone saying "That's hot!"

So if anyone gives you a hard time and threatens legal action, just tell them " go ahead, make my day!"

btw, I am not a lawyer, but I once played one in a junior high school play.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:22:31 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
I say do it, you know how many "Straight Out Of ...." shirts I have seen lately!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
I say do it, you know how many "Straight Out Of ...." shirts I have seen lately!

funny we are printing some Straight Out Of shirt's this week for a gym, crazy how chit catches fire and everyone jumps on it.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:33 AM »
Once we printed a shirt that said had a pic of the NHL team here, and there was a news story on how the team told the clothing co to stop with a cease letter.

We didn't get contacted, but word got out we made them and for a few weeks random people would call the shop and ask/beg if they could buy just one of the shirts...

Needless to say it wasn't worth the 20$ i could sell one for, and I politely declined. Wasn't about to mess with the big dogs!  Hahaha!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
Way back on one of my first Macs, I had that as an alert sound. Though I'm from the right age group, I wasn't a huge Stooges fan, but I saw them all a million times like everyone else. Can you write "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!" I wonder...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
This came up some time ago on an off the cuff conversation when I was using a shirt that said life is tough get a helmet.
Someone told me that belonged to Dennis Leary and I could not use it.
My reply was soon as Dennis could prove that that term was never ever used by anyone on the planet until he thought of it and coined it I was not going to lose any sleep.
The point is how the hell can anyone prove they were the first on the planet to coin a phrase?

I say "go nuts" and print away ...by the way you can't use "go nuts" cuz I just invented it.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
For a small business to use that if it's copyrighted would be wrong, but you'd probably get a cease and desist letter, at which point you would cease and desist...

Steve

Offline starchild

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
For a small business to use that if it's copyrighted would be wrong, but you'd probably get a cease and desist letter, at which point you would cease and desist...

Steve

At which point........ you will cease and desist.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
My boss started the Fonz t-shirt company and advertised them in the Boston Globe Sunday TV magazine back in the spring of '76. All he got was a "cease and desist" letter from Paramount Studios, and that was that. Of course he stopped. On this topic, someone sent me a design this morning to quote on; Bernie! Black Lives Matter! Like I'm going to touch that... The customer says "there are no copyright marks" to which I told him that it doesn't matter if they are they are there or not. I've had that conversation more than once, as I'm sure most of have.

Steve

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
what is the thing with Bernie and black lives matter?  I am not familiar with why that would hold a copyright?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »
It wouldnt.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »
It wouldnt.

Is it not Bernie Sanders and does he not have copyright to himself? And Black Lives Matter is an actual group, therefore don't they hold the rights? I'm open to discussion...

Steve

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
Using a politicians name or image is given a lot of latitude under the 1st amendment as protected political speech.  There is a much larger gray area when it comes to putting his name on a shirt than say a random celebrities name because he is a politician.

As for Black Lives Matter I see nothing about copyright on their site, and they would have a hell of a time trying to cease and desist it's usage since it has been so widely used without any kind of official permission all over the internet for a few years now.  I also think they would be less willing to sue or send cease and desist letters than other "brands" simply because their whole mission is awareness.  It would depend on what you were doing with the name though.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
What about the brothers that coin the phrase Life Is Good..@ Steve, you should know about them since they are from your neck of the woods, I don't think you can use or sell that phrase they might have it copyrighted don't know, but they have made a ton of money from it.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!