Author Topic: Let's talk Thread  (Read 4120 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Let's talk Thread
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »
What thread is your top go to thread and why, we choose Robinson-Anton years back because we did a lot of baseball caps and they covered most colors we use in ink and they had a good rep.  Problem I'm having now is our local suppliers don't carry RA anymore for some reason even though I buy in bulk from RA I still run into a color I need in a small spool or need a little extra, Floriani has taking over the the top spot here for some reason, don't know much about that thread.

d
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Let's talk Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »
we use Madeira Polyneon, not too sure why. Availability I suppose. Buy from Alphabroder or direct... We tried the Broder house brand, harrington I believe - didn't sew as nice and kept breaking so who knows, probably me and my machines.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »
Madeira Polyneon has been working well for us.  Comes in a ton of colors and also available 60# and 75# in a handful of colors.  But it's the only thread we have ever used so I can't really compare.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
I haven't done embroidery in about nine years, but when we did, Isacord was my first choice. Loved their poly. Was using more and more Robison-Anton, as they are licensed with MLB
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
Robinson-Anton here.  Before we got our own machine, our contract embroiderer used R-A.  So we stuck with it for consistency.  Large jobs still get sent to them.  I believe we get most of it from Hammer Bros.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
madera here too. 1 day ship from New Hampshire

who ships from new hampshire? LOL

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
Deep, they have a 1 day ship to you.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
@ Whitewater, one day ship from New Hampshire to Alabama? you sure, where you see that it's always been two days,  I'm fine with R-A but I just don't want to stock a butt load of colors, I rather be able to go local and pick up a couple of spools.  Madeira/Floriani is what I can get local now ....

D

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
  I got some RA red once a while ago and due to some over zealous lubrication
of one of my machines, we had to shoot out some oil spots. The red bled all over
with the spot cleaner. Madeira is only about 4 1/2 miles down the road from me, so
it's really a no-brainer now. Gives me a chance to get out of the shop for a while also.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »
Isacord 90%, Madeira rayon and polyneon for the rest

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
@ Whitewater, one day ship from New Hampshire to Alabama? you sure, where you see that it's always been two days,  I'm fine with R-A but I just don't want to stock a butt load of colors, I rather be able to go local and pick up a couple of spools.  Madeira/Floriani is what I can get local now ....

D

they have warehouses all throughout the States.

maybe bama and NC

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
I haven't done embroidery in about nine years, but when we did, Isacord was my first choice. Loved their poly. Was using more and more Robison-Anton, as they are licensed with MLB

Yup on the Isarord Poly!
Had a tread break about a decade ago...JK
Strong stuff.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:46:05 PM »
Madeira her but making the switch ti Isacord slowly. We do a lot of puff. I mean a lot and lately there have been some issues with Madeira and the consistency of the thread. 
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Gunold here.  They are really close to us and we are still running rayon.  I just like the look of it and I feel it sews better.  More thread breaks yes, but I think our embroidery looks better with it.

In all fairness I haven't tried poly on the Barudan.  The SWF didn't seem to like it much.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
I must be the only one sewing with Robinson-Anton, might try the another brand.