Author Topic: Flash times with Top Score White  (Read 3145 times)

Offline push_pull

• Verified/Junior
Flash times with Top Score White
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:55:10 AM »
Does anyone else experience longish flash times with the Wilfex Top Score White?

We just started using the TS white after a loss of faith in our long-time go-to white.  Once our pallets are heated up and everything is moving, we are around 6s using a quartz flash on the auto with this ink.  We have 700 pcs 1/1 white on navy 562m coming up, and I can almost smell the fleece scorching thinking about it.  We also have some Superior White in the shop, but I've afraid to use it on this job - Jerzees' navy has historically been a hard bleeder for us if we aren't careful.  I'd rather use the Top Score and not worry about it.  Is it just a long-flashing ink?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Flash times with Top Score White
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »
6 seconds with a quartz flash seems like forever, assuming everything is warmed up... we normally run around 2.8-3.2 sec with our Red Chili D and Top Score White.

our Red Chili D is the one with the temperature sensor on it, we set it for 200, and it rarely gets changed... flashes just about any white we use in the shop.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
The flash times are not that long........

But the after flash tack is ridiculous......  And fibre matte is not very good on garments with cotton...

I really dislike the product for that.  Also, as the product gets hot, it looses a lot of its viscosity and prints much thinner.  Be aware of this so you can adjust accordingly.

My 2 cents
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline push_pull

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »
We are using a QE Flash on an old Gauntlet using a sensor being tripped by the pallet arm.  I have the sensor to be tripped by the arm on it's way to the indexed position.  So the flash is on 100% when the pallet is being raised to it.  I'm not sure how other setups work, but I'm sure this configuration requires an extra second or so.

When we were sill using Phoenix white the flash time was around 4 or 5 seconds.

I'm bummed about this ink.  I was so fed up with the bad 5er of Phoenix we got burned on that I dove headfirst into this Top Score and it really doesn't work on our auto, between the flash time and more or less uselessness as an underbase.  It's a shame because it does handle migration really well.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:10 PM »
We are using a QE Flash on an old Gauntlet using a sensor being tripped by the pallet arm.  I have the sensor to be tripped by the arm on it's way to the indexed position.  So the flash is on 100% when the pallet is being raised to it.  I'm not sure how other setups work, but I'm sure this configuration requires an extra second or so.

When we were sill using Phoenix white the flash time was around 4 or 5 seconds.

I'm bummed about this ink.  I was so fed up with the bad 5er of Phoenix we got burned on that I dove headfirst into this Top Score and it really doesn't work on our auto, between the flash time and more or less uselessness as an underbase.  It's a shame because it does handle migration really well.

Push-Pull, 5 or 6 seconds to flash off the Wilflex Top Score white is a long time compared to what I've seen in the market.  I'd like to help you get some support directly from the Wilflex Tech Services Team.  Please drop me an email or a pm with your contact info and I'll get you hooked up.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:35 AM »
We start at about 3 seconds, down to about 2 or less after about 30 shirts.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 07:14:57 AM »
We start at about 3 seconds, down to about 2 or less after about 30 shirts.

Thanks Brian, these times are a lot more typical of what we see at most printers using the Top Score white

Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
While your time seems to be long, there are too many parameters not listed for anyone to give you an usable answer.  What mesh count, how many hits, print and flood speeds, squeegee duro, flood depth, ink in the shirt or on the shirt, pre heating, what do you consider dry (tacky feel or paper feel), height of flash from platen, humidity level in shop, wind conditions in shop, etc.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
What quartz flash? what is the distance of the bulbs to substrate? 100% intensity? Are you putting ink through the garment?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
Try Performance White.  Top Score White did not compare to it in our shop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline SHedge

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
Try adjusting your flash temperature and dwell time so the ink is just dry to the touch.  A 6 second flash is long for Top Score White and is most likely making the ink surface tacky.  Depending on your mesh count and pallet temperature, Top score White should flash in the 2.5 - 4 second range.  Reduce the temperature or time to prevent over flashing and possible inter-coat adhesion problem.
Steve Hedge
Technical Services Manager, Specialty Inks & Polymer Systems - PolyOne Corporation, Wilflex Inks
steve.hedge@polyone.com
Office: 800-326-0226, ext. 2257

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
I use a lot of Top Score here and it works well.  But to be honest if you want a better poly white try One Stroke ELT white I don't even blink at the price anymore because eliminated all the flash and tack issues.

Ross

Offline push_pull

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Some quick answers that I can provide while not at the shop:

Underbases usually done through a 156, double stroked
Squeegee is an orange triple... 55/90/55 I think
Flood speed is slow to keep the white from climbing, print speed is on the slow side too
Shop isn't too humid this time of year (Northeast PA)
No wind in shop (I promise)

My QE Flash doesn't have adjustable intensity, just a timer.

Offline bhillyardscoville

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
Here is the Technical Data Sheet from Wilflex  -- it recommends 4-6 second flash ---Adjusting flash cure temperature and dwell time so ink is dry to  the touch. Depending on flash unit, a 4-6 second flash should be adequate. If surface is hot and tacky, the ink film has been over flashed. Reduce
temperature or time to prevent an inter-coat adhesion problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:40:35 PM by bhillyardscoville »

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
Didn't read all the post so I might be saying something that was already mention, but we just did a somewhat large job with top score white on some crimson comfort colors and the flash time was around 3 seconds on the auto using a quarts flash, but we did some yesterday on the manual using the infrared flash and it took longer to flash pass sticky plus we where printing on wood pallets that might have made the difference.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!