Author Topic: today was many lessons were learned  (Read 2713 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
today was many lessons were learned
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
I thought I would share my little story of today it was interesting.
I hooked up  with a local football league (kids), the idea was to apply names and numbers on their already purchased tee shirts (from another printer) with the thought of securing the contract for next years apparel. We brought our cutter and heat press to their locations and set up shop so here is what I learned.
Names and numbers while you wait, BAD BUSINESS IDEA hard to pull off with two people.
Smith is four letters long and for 4 dollars I should some how make it be 2 inches tall and 14 inches wide( thats what the lady wanted) I gave her her money back so she would shut up and leave, a real B
When the customer complains before work has started or money was exchanged WALK AWAY, no, RUN AWAY.
The more options you give people, the less likely they will know what they want. The longer your day will be.
Doing work because someone said they will give you the "big" contract is BS, this lesson will be repeated till learned I guess, this is twice for me. We printed up 6 new designs for them and brought samples and took orders for the new shirts, I found out that unless the samples are somehow locked to something it appears they will just go away.
I thought it would go smooth but it was the toughest day I have ever had in this business. I now know why no one does things like this, its rough. In case you are wondering we pulled in about $500.00  for the day so we cleared about $200.00 which is the last lesson there is no need to print up a ton of flyers people dont take them so save the money and just xerox some papers your bottom line will look better. Thanks for listening one good thing is there are now 100 people that are aware of my little business. Baby steps
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: today was many lessons were learned
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
On names and numbers. unless using die cut letters and numbers, for which you can charge by the piece , cad cut must either be a flat rate, for a set letter and number size, or a charge by area of film used (assuming weeding difficulty or ease is constant)
Most will also charge an application fee on customer supplied shirts, though I waive that on full team or league orders like this.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
I thought I would share my little story of today it was interesting.
I hooked up  with a local football league (kids), the idea was to apply names and numbers on their already purchased tee shirts (from another printer) with the thought of securing the contract for next years apparel. We brought our cutter and heat press to their locations and set up shop so here is what I learned.
Names and numbers while you wait, BAD BUSINESS IDEA hard to pull off with two people.
Smith is four letters long and for 4 dollars I should some how make it be 2 inches tall and 14 inches wide( thats what the lady wanted) I gave her her money back so she would shut up and leave, a real B
When the customer complains before work has started or money was exchanged WALK AWAY, no, RUN AWAY.
The more options you give people, the less likely they will know what they want. The longer your day will be.
Doing work because someone said they will give you the "big" contract is BS, this lesson will be repeated till learned I guess, this is twice for me. We printed up 6 new designs for them and brought samples and took orders for the new shirts, I found out that unless the samples are somehow locked to something it appears they will just go away.
I thought it would go smooth but it was the toughest day I have ever had in this business. I now know why no one does things like this, its rough. In case you are wondering we pulled in about $500.00  for the day so we cleared about $200.00 which is the last lesson there is no need to print up a ton of flyers people dont take them so save the money and just xerox some papers your bottom line will look better. Thanks for listening one good thing is there are now 100 people that are aware of my little business. Baby steps

that sounds to me like you took the work one of my customers declined! He went through it few weeks back and declined this weekend's event. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
Frog, we charged per name and per number so the pricing worked out ok we figured per inch of vinyl in height it should yield about $400.00.
Pierre, I now understand why someone would decline that work LOL, it was for Willowick's league and I don't think I would do it again, maybe pre-orders but no onsite stuff for me anymore.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Northland

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
I've been charging $7 for a 2" tall vinyl name.... if I can't get that it's not worth doing.
I'm just now finishing an order of 200 hoodies and about 150 of them have a namedrop.
I make more on the namedrop than the two color design print, but I'll have twice as much time into the names.

I do feel bad for the kid that pays $7 and wants just two letters for the namedrop..... but it's takes the same time to cut,weed and press 2 letters as 10 letters.
Unfortunately, the kid that doesn't put his name on the hoodie runs the risk of having it stolen by his classmates... so, $7 is insurance (and customization).

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
We just order them done from Stahls.  It's a lot faster and cheaper for us.

Offline dsh

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Ditto on Stahls.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
When I have to do names and numbers I charge $4 a name (2.5 X 11) and $4 for up to 2 digit number. (one digit is $4 also) I get them from Transfer Express. They are plastisol so the colors match and they look like they were screen printed. It sucks to do them and if you mess up a name you have to reorder so it sets you back 3 days. I don’t even offer it anymore unless it is a old client.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
Stahls as well....

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »

Stahls here as well.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:46 AM »
I debated Stahls with my buddy the other day... I just rather do cut vinyl... seems easier/cheaper.  You just have to stock some vinyl... but I can do it quickly and don't have to wait for mess ups.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »
I have someone else do it.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
Another one not to do...
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
  Another one not to do is give a customer a catalog from a supplier and let them go wild.
I cannot get our sales people to stop. They will invariably order goods that are out of stock,
closeout discontinued, etc.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
Gilligan, what is your cost per sq. foot on shirt vinyl?  And how long does it take you to weed them?  I found that it's faster and thus cheaper to go the stahls route.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »
I debated Stahls with my buddy the other day... I just rather do cut vinyl... seems easier/cheaper.  You just have to stock some vinyl... but I can do it quickly and don't have to wait for mess ups.

Cheaper?  No way.  Those Stahls transfers are dirt cheap, but I'm with you on easier.  I do cut vinyl also and haven't tried the transfers yet.  But I did a booster club order of over 200 tees with name and number on the back.  Once you order your second roll of $300 vinyl you start to wonder, "am I making any money on this order?" lol wish I would have done transfers.  But then again I can't match the font that's on the front print with transfers.

When you order the stahls letters and enter in all the team name/numbers, they don't pre-lay each player's letters and numbers out for you on one sheet somehow do they?  THAT would be awesome to get a stack of transfers in the mail all ready to go in the order you entered them.  But I figure they send you stack of letters and numbers and you sort it out?