Author Topic: Fixing embroidery thread color?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Fixing embroidery thread color?
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
Just had a client reject a job because one of the thread colors is too light. Error was made by the embroiderer, they changed it after we picked out the colors in the shop for whatever reason. Can't get ahold of them yet today, but my client asked if using a sharpie would work to fix it. He is a super chill client, but the color is definitely just wrong.

Anyone ever "dye" the thread using something like a sharpy? Thread was supposed to approximate 1505C but is more like a light peach or skintone. Just wondering about options here.

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
Re: Fixing embroidery thread color?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »
Never tried it.  The ONLY thing we've ever "dyed" with ULTRA FINE Sharpie's is bobbin thread (natural color, not black) when it shows.  Then we "dye" it to match the garment color.  Careful....just a touch will do it...the thread "sucks" it out of the Sharpie and the color can extend further than you want it to quickly.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
My embroidery guy just said pretty much the same thing: sharpie.  Fortunately the offending color does not touch any other thread but the thread of the hat, which is black, and the thread is light enough that it should be easy to change.  Wish me luck!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
So I think I fixed it.  Attached it the before (right) and after (left).

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »
You have fixed nothing. Only patched the problem until it walks out your door. The sharpie will fade really quickly and you will be back in the same boat. Plus you will get the added bonus of being the guy that is known for doing it wrong and providing a half a$$ed fix that wont last. Your competitors will thank you for that.

The embroiderer should make it right and redo them. Thats what we would do if that mistake happened.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:53:36 AM »
Don't they make markers specifically for dying thread? http://colmanandcompany.com/Fabric_Markers.html

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
This fix seldom works but the advantage you have is a hat and a dark color hat at that. Your ONLY option other than starting over is dye the wrong color. Like someone said the color will not hold.......you can buy yourself some time with heat setting the color...you can hit the dyed thread with a hair dryer or (careful here) a heat gun to set the marker color onto the thread...BUT if the thread is polyester it will not hold the color well and heat can shrink or worse yet melt the thread.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
Thread is rayon and I used a heat set fabric marker. The test hat made it through the dishwasher last night without issue.  I agree they should make it right...but that's another issue I don't want to go into. This client has been with me a long time and understands exactly what I did and knows if it fails I will make it right. Not worried about my rep with him. If this was on shirts I wouldn't even be trying this since they get washed frequently. I definitely don't plan on having to do this again, but this seems to have worked in a pinch...

edit: Figured I would add, there was no downside to this on this particular job.  It was either going to "fix" it and everyone was happy, or it wasn't and I would eat my costs and have it re-done (with or without concessions from the embroiderer).  Thanks again for the feedback.  Helpful as always.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:46:46 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
there are thread markers, those are the only thing I trust...but they don't work on poly usually.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
there are thread markers, those are the only thing I trust...but they don't work on poly usually.

I assume because it was rayon instead of poly was lucky for me.  I think I was sort of lucky in a few ways (mistake was a light thread, hat is black, client is forgiving, etc).  What brand of fabric marker do you trust?  I believe these are called "TeeJuice" or something.  Not in the shop at the moment to check...

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »
You have fixed nothing. Only patched the problem until it walks out your door. The sharpie will fade really quickly and you will be back in the same boat. Plus you will get the added bonus of being the guy that is known for doing it wrong and providing a half a$$ed fix that wont last. Your competitors will thank you for that.

The embroiderer should make it right and redo them. Thats what we would do if that mistake happened.

WORD.. Replace them you will sleep better knowing you did the right thing!
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
Tie the new thread to the end of the old thread and pull it through like new wiring!