Author Topic: Oh the joys of not knowing much...  (Read 2210 times)

Offline AKsparrow

• Verified/Junior
Oh the joys of not knowing much...
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
Howdy!  I am so new, I don't even think you can call me a newbie...  I have been reading for hours!  But to the point, I was looking for information on what mesh count for what kind of jobs.  So much lingo I don't understand...  :-[ I got excited when I saw a thread that alluded to definitions... but there was only a link that would have taken me away from this forum *shrug*, so needless to say, I didn't click on it!  (And now I've lost it!) I was given everything I have,  :o so I don't even know what I am working with.  But I have a few aluminum frames that need to be re-meshed and I thought I could start there.  I did a design with a bit of fine detail, white plastisol ink on black, and boy howdy.... the mesh seemed to get clogged up or something.  So I got to thinking about mesh count and how little I know! If someone could point me to the appropriate thread or some information, I would be super grateful!  (After reading a million threads...)  I think maybe it is because I was using one platen, and it was getting hot enough to maybe start curing ink in screen... what do you think?  But really, I am very interested in information regarding mesh count.  I will not be producing high volumes of product. (for many moons yet anyways) My goal is to produce my own apparel line.  ( I am a graphic artist by trade.)  I am working on a 6 station, manual printer.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Oh the joys of not knowing much...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:07:41 AM »
Welcome aboard!
How about a detail list of what you have and we'll put our minds together to give you some advice.
Screenprinting is a system,  so knowing more will help.

Also, think about taking some classes!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
Sparrow, we've already talked by PM but another howdy and welcome! Being in Alaska, you may not have the number of class options that many down here enjoy, so if a working vacation is not in the cards, start reading, and perhaps some here can give recommendations on videos (both sold and available on You Tube) that helped them. As I mentioned to you, and Pierre just posted as well, let us know just what equipment and supplies you have so we have a starting point.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline AKsparrow

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
Hi guys!  Thanks for the welcome and such...  I will be working in the shop this weekend and will do my best to get a list together of what I am working with.  But part of the issue there is...  I was given the entire set-up!!!   Which is awesome!  But, the downside is...  I have no idea what mesh count my screens are or any of the other fine details.  But I can look at ink brands and equipment names and such.  I don't even know the terminology!  I did some basic screen printing in high school, and worked in a screen print shop for about a 1 1/2, ten years ago...  LOL!  I have managed to produce a few successful runs of tshirts and hoodies so far.  Nothing big, just playing around, ya know!  Right now I am just doing my own designs in Photoshop, creating them in layers so I don't have to worry about seps.  Posting sample pics of similar equipment... No idea what kind of bulb is in my EU, using Ulano Proclaim EC Emulsion, in a regular utility sink to wash out.  I am fixing to invest in a real wash-out sink!  Did purchase my own tub of white... which was XOLB-158 Creamy Glacier Opaque.  Seemed to do the job.  Was very thick though and took a scoop out and worked it in a separate tub to soften before putting on screen.  I don't know if that is what you should do or not, just seemed right.  :-p  I only did one pass and then cured.  On the board.  Under the Flash thingy.  (are you old timers cringing yet?)  Hahahha...  My big curing unit thing isn't hooked up yet, as it requires 220 and I need to get an electrician in.

My immediate questions are...  I have about 4 or 5 aluminium frames that need to be re-meshed, (remember, I don't even know what I have now) what mesh count should I have these done at?  What's the rule of thumb for that?  Why yellow mesh?

Oh, I am currently working with another shop, who does custom orders... they are really awesome, but very busy... that are printing my films for me, I believe with an Epsom, using accurip.  They have helped me with some very general questions, but I hesitate to pester them with too many questions because I do not want them to start regretting offering to print my films until I can afford to invest in my own printer.

I have like 3-4 squeegees. And I think they may be inefficient... my scoop coaters' plastic end always falls off and creates a mess, so yea, that's frustrating.  So was hoping to invest in some new bits and pieces of that stuff too.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have this Number Printer thingy, that I am NEVER going to use and was wondering if there was a market for re-selling it...  It would be wonderful to be able to flip that for some of the things that I do need.  There is prob like 20 screens that go with it...

Whew... I sound like a mess, and wonder... what DO I know???  I've been enjoying learning and experimenting in the shop!

Offline AKsparrow

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
Trying again to attach photos...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
your equipment seems fine. You can get a lot of mileage out of it, but will eventually want to upgrade as you get busier. . .

as far as the screens, get a magnifying glass and a ruler. Count the number of threads per inch to find out the mesh count.

there are several schools on the mesh counts, but here is what I would suggest. Please bear in mind I spent very little time printing on a manual press, so you might need to adjust. Hopefully somebody with more experience chimes in.

-get a Newton meter. I know this is not high on priority list for many, but it is worth buying it and saving you some headache. Last I heard, you could get them for under $100 delivered (on ebay).
-now you will know exactly what you are dealing with and by making sure all your screens are above 20N (Newtons) you'll eliminate the tension as a problem.
-if you are keeping them above the mentioned 20N, use 110 (or 160 if you can make it work) for underbase, and probably around 270 for highlight colors. Depending on the screen tension and your printing skills, you might be able to make the 305 work. With less stellar technique  you might have to go to 230 for top colors.
-if your press is holding good registration, print wet on wet (WOW). This will save you time as you will only flash the underbase rather than flashing between all the top colors.
-make sure your squeegees are sharp and nick free. You should be able to feel the ridges of your fingerprint on them. If not, order some new ones. By buying the reusable holders, you can purchase blades on their own and save money in the long run. This will obviously depend on the funds availability as you might not need to change the blades any time soon.
-if possible, learn to push (when printing) rather than pulling the squeegee. You will have to lay the squeegee down almost horizontal to get the proper angle on the front edge. This is something most ppl miss when pushing. Print as fast as you can as it will allow the ink to flow better and will also need less pressure. This is something you'll have to play with.
-consider using 23x31 size screens. They have a large sweet spot and will make the printing easier. On the con side, they use more emulsion, take longer to clean and are overall more work, but should help with printing.
-if going on a shirt alone (without an underbase), you'll probably need 110 mesh. If you get everying working properly, 160 will work. In some cases you might be able to get the 230 to deposit enough to make the print look solid.
-there are sever different types of ink based on what kind of material you are printing on and how opaque they are. Your high opacity inks will have to go through 110 mesh, maybe even lower in some cases. This will often (but not always and seldom on black shirts) work with print/flash/print (without the underbase-which is generally white). Advantage being that you can use one screen and hit it twice (with a flash in between) rather than using one screen for an underbase white and then the second screen for top color. Less opaque colors are generally thinner (have lower viscosity) and will print through finer mesh counts like 230, 270 and 305. The print will be softer and thinner.
-get an exposure calculator ($15 or so from SAATI and your ink dealer should have one, too) and fine tune your exposure times so you get a solid step 7. This will make more sense as you try to use it. This process in now way guaranties proper exposure times, but it will be close enough for right now.
-buy the book by Scott http://t-biznetwork.com/tag/how-to-print-t-shirts-for-fun-and-profit/. You'll get everything you need to get started and then some. We can help you here if you run into problems as you start tackling them.

what else?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline AKsparrow

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »
Thank you so much, Pierre! I am working on getting a few bits of equiptment soon. I found a supplier in state (Alaska) but there's not much here... Most stuff I will need to have shipped. So that's spendy! But this supplier can re-mesh screens. So, if my screens aren't tensioned tight enough, I will have to just have re-meshed I'm assuming....? They are just glued to an aluminum frame. And I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but idk, in the name of getting it right, I'll ask... Is my screen not actually supposed to sit flush on the board/garmet?

Guess I need to watch some videos on push! I will be looking into the exposure calculator for sure... Anything to help dial that in would greatly relieve my bumbling attempts! New squeegees are on the list, as well as a coater.

I'm a little nervous- I took a super small job (36 run) to help them and me, and I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew! It's a 3 color print with a white under base. Front and back. What is giving me pause now is... I had thought I'd be able to do it all with the same set-up, but after reading here, I wonder if that is truly the case... I will be printing on black hoodies, and white and gold tshirts...

Maybe I should split these questions up... But hopefully y'all with keep throwing good stuff at me!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
You may be well served with either the new "e" version or hard copy of Scott Fresener's book that has been the beginner's bible for a long time.
http://t-biznetwork.com/productnews/how-to-print-book-now-an-ebook/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:19:23 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline AKsparrow

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Looks like I'll be buying a book too ????!  Taking inventory now... Just got done measuring screens. (I don't have very many, used sharpie to mark mesh ct.) I have 6-110, 5-155, and 3-200. A few of my 110 need re-meshed. Not at all sure about tension on any of them. I have a feeling they weren't taken very good care of. I am ready to order 4 or 5 new screens, plus re-mesh a few of the 110's. What would be the suggested ratio's here? If I've only got 20-21 screens, most of my jobs will be very simple- no half-tones or much highlight work. Some of my designs do have a lot of fine detail, but will be one color.  Idk if that's enough info for y'all to give me suggestions- but you've been very helpful so far!!!