Author Topic: distressed filter for ai  (Read 3487 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
distressed filter for ai
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
Does anyone have a distress filter that you are willing to share?
I need to match this look.
Thanks,
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: distressed filter for ai
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »
grab a piece of paper and wrinkle it. Make sure to put some creases in it too so it looks kind of like the image you posted. Than scan it and adjust the curves in photoshop until it matches what you are looking for. Should be about 20 min and you don't have to wait for somebody to find one.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
here is a zip with 4 different intensities  they are tiff files which I use in corel all the time not sure how to use them in AI as I am not an AI guy

Online Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
grab a piece of paper and wrinkle it. Make sure to put some creases in it too so it looks kind of like the image you posted. Than scan it and adjust the curves in photoshop until it matches what you are looking for. Should be about 20 min and you don't have to wait for somebody to find one.

pierre

Another version of this is to print out of a laser printer (if you have one that is) a solid black sheet, then crumple that up and do the rest of what Pierre suggests...

Steve

We save ours as a bitmap .tif, so when making a mockup, we can easily make the distressed area the same as the shirt color
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »

pierre

Another version of this is to print out of a laser printer (if you have one that is) a solid black sheet, then crumple that up and do the rest of what Pierre suggests...

Steve

We save ours as a bitmap .tif, so when making a mockup, we can easily make the distressed area the same as the shirt color

When this look first got popular, I was still outputting by laser to vellum and I would actually distress that directly and make it one of a kind, something I think is pretty cool!
It takes a lot to bug me more than what I feel when I see a bunch of people together in "distressed" caps, all fraying in the exact same place!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
Distressing the film is easy with a razor blade. You can just scrape off the ink. I think it gives you a better more natural look then the over lays. If its for a customer I would use the overlays only because you can proof them. Last thing you want to do is try to proof a scratched up film and have them want edits.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »
I've got one that's close, but it won't upload.
2.4 megs might be the problem.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
Thanks to all for the help. I have received a few files. Most are pretty close...
Tipman- if you don't mind emailing the the address is orders @ balloonprinting dot com.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
It's on its way.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
Sent your way.