Author Topic: (NOT) Safe Lights  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: (NOT) Safe Lights
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
Why promote poor SOP?

A screen in our screen room could stay out for at least an hour, but essentially, they come out of a dark cabinet, have film attached, and are burned. Setting up an 8 color means burning two machine frames at a time, so none are out more than 10 minutes, way more than safe. We do not have a pre exposure issue, so our SOP is just that, works fine. Whatever works should be the SOP, until one changes...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Even as bad as our set up is as far as doing it exactly right as far as screens go... our screens are only exposed to light for seconds while being coated, then whatever amount of time it takes the image to be loaded/printed and then set on the exposure unit.  Its probably 2-3 minutes most screens to light thats 30ft in the air. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
Any skylights/open doors would be my concern. Before we had our exposure unit in the dark room
we would have photopolymer screens expose in the time it took to walk them from the dark room
to the vacuum frame, about ten seconds.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »
light thats 30ft in the air.

That explains why it's working out.  Diffuse light that far away is going to take a long time to start crosslinking into the emulsion layer even if you have the more spectrally rich (for emulsion curing purposes at least) high bay halide lights.  Like ebscreen says, just watch out for any beams of sunlight cutting in somewhere.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »
If anybody's interested, the glasses are available from Saati for $91.50.  Part Number: SCVV121

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »
light thats 30ft in the air.

That explains why it's working out.  Diffuse light that far away is going to take a long time to start crosslinking into the emulsion layer even if you have the more spectrally rich (for emulsion curing purposes at least) high bay halide lights.  Like ebscreen says, just watch out for any beams of sunlight cutting in somewhere.

Exactly ;) 

But we do have 2 large bay doors, 1 you could pull a semi truck and trailer in here easily, open all day.  Heres a look at that, there is another one (smaller) to the right often open as well as 2 side doors. There is light in this joint.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
Any skylights/open doors would be my concern. Before we had our exposure unit in the dark room
we would have photopolymer screens expose in the time it took to walk them from the dark room
to the vacuum frame, about ten seconds.

Id be concerned too if I was using PP.

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
So don't do it like I do?  ;D

Not to stray off topic, but did you build those cabinets?  I like that idea.  Exactly what I had envisioned a while back.  Just not sure how to keep the humidity down as I don't do near the screen volume you guys do.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:39 PM »

Not to stray off topic, but did you build those cabinets?  I like that idea.  Exactly what I had envisioned a while back.  Just not sure how to keep the humidity down as I don't do near the screen volume you guys do.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,16253.msg155246.html#msg155246
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »

Yes we had them built, cost me zero dollars and zero time as I cashed in some favors. Pretty nice, so far have really helped us as we didn't really have enough space for screens.