Author Topic: forklifts  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
Re: forklifts
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 10:40:01 PM »
@TCT
You wrote:"The more I thought about it I am thinking of getting a skidsteer with fork attachments."

I have one and it is marginal for getting pallets off of trucks.  For stacking or for racks they don't lift much more than about 7 or 8 ft. 
It does do a fantastic job with the snowblower attachment!

I have a family member that scored us an old electric stand on forklift that had been in storage for almost 15 years...for FREE. It included the 220 volt battery charger also.
Had a guy go over it and replace a few things.  That cost me about $200 in parts and labor which he was willing to trade for computer service.
The only real expense was the replacement battery. I think that was almost $1300.
I have used that forklift for almost 12 years without any issues.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:27 PM »
@TCT
You wrote:"The more I thought about it I am thinking of getting a skidsteer with fork attachments."

I have one and it is marginal for getting pallets off of trucks.  For stacking or for racks they don't lift much more than about 7 or 8 ft. 
It does do a fantastic job with the snowblower attachment!

I have a family member that scored us an old electric stand on forklift that had been in storage for almost 15 years...for FREE. It included the 220 volt battery charger also.
Had a guy go over it and replace a few things.  That cost me about $200 in parts and labor which he was willing to trade for computer service.
The only real expense was the replacement battery. I think that was almost $1300.
I have used that forklift for almost 12 years without any issues.
;D

You got to kind of know my setup to understand it I guess. Pallet racking is not possible in our current location, hell, the skidsteer would only be able to be in 1/6 of our main floor space! I just want something to unload pallets better than the leg powered electric lift we currently have. If you want to split hairs, I have just really wished I had a skidsteer at home the last few years, the forks would just make it a write off!  ;)
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
I love my glorified wheel barrel!! 
But like I mentioned already, it was not a great option for unloading trucks.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »
can anyone tell me why propane isn't preferred?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Rocky Bihl

• Verified/Junior
  • Technical Director / Formulator @ One Stroke Inks
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »
We have bought both new electric and propane forklifts over the past years. The electric forklifts are far more reliable requiring far less maintenance than the propane powered units as long as you keep an eye on the water level in the batteries. Our propane powered Clark unit less than 2 years old has problems where it won't  start or run right 2 or 3 times a year requiring maintenance. The battery powered units have had no issues at all.
Rocky Bihl
Technical Director/Formulator
One Stroke Inks
502-366-1070 cell: 502-750-1111
rbihl@osinks.com

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »
I have a 5k pound lp nissan and it's been awesome. Only thing I wish I would have done different is to buy Pneumatic tires rather than cushions, most of our lot is gravel. It sucks pulling dead weight out of a hole.

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:29 AM »
I just convinced my dad he needed a forklift. And then convinced him to leave it at my shop :)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
I drove a standup electric forklift for almost 7 years, and if you can score one of those, a Crown preferably, go that route.  I wouldn't worry too much about a used one, those Crown electric ones at Sam's club can run for decades, and they can be abused the whole time and still get the job done.  I don't know that much about the propane sitdown models, they could be as reliable and durable as the ones I ran.

As many new forklifts as we got over the years and new club buildouts, there has to be a few used ones on the market.  I never knew what management did with the older forklifts but every once in a while we'd get a few new ones and one or two of the old ones just disappeared, but they still ran fine.  The batteries are crazy heavy, but the way you need to use it you can just charge the battery while it's in the forklift and won't have to worry about getting the battery changing system.

On a side note, one morning a guy forgot to put the plate that holds the battery in the lift back in, and when he turned the corner while leaving the battery changout area the battery rolled out of the lift and went through the receiving office wall.  It left this cartoon-like perfectly square hole in the wall like the coyote would when he'd run through a wall.  It took us a few hours to fix that mess, and the guy lost his job because he didn't do so well on his test, his drug test, the one they'd give you if/when you screwed something up.  If there would have been someone on the other side of that wall I can't imagine what it would have done to them.  Maybe they just get knocked down, or maybe that 3K pound battery smashes them up badly, but thank God nobody was hurt that day. 

I've got a few dozen good forklift disaster stories from my years in big box retail.  I never had a bad accident while driving, because I was the best operator there ever was :), but I did have a pallet of Dixie cups buckle while I was lifting the pallet because someone put a pallet on top of the cups that was too heavy to be on top (pallet of clothes washing detergent in the 5 gal buckets).  We had to downstack both pallets from the top rack but we couldn't just climb up there ninja style, we had to wear the safety equipment harnesses and strap ourselves into the lift cage or the steel we were climbing on.  It took almost as long to get the ok with all the safety stuff as it did fixing the problem.  SAFETY FIRST!!!!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.