Author Topic: Trying again with TSB  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Tentegen

Trying again with TSB
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »
I made an account With t-shirt forums a long time ago. Granted, yes, it was a big post, but it wasn't a wall of text though.it was my second post on that site and i was simply lokking for helpful input.

I got ignored BADLY.

Felt hurt and hadnt posted since. Today i was trying to find more info about Jaquard’s textile paint and ran into TSB.

Decided to try again and give this new place a shot.

Now, i am IN NO WAY professional and do not have professional grade equipment (most i got is a comp w/ a paper cutter. Doing the freezer paper method). But i try to get results with what i got.

Id show a pic of something i made.....but with my experience with joining forums, i dont think i can post up pics and outside links.

Offline Underbase37

Re: Trying again with TSB
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »
So what's you question/ Questions ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:34 AM »
Welcome, and if you are looking for some advice on screen printing with a water based ink, you should have great luck here, either in the Waterbased Ink or Newbies section.
If you are literally working with "paint" and no screens, you could get the same crickets here as most of our members screen print, embroidery, DTG, or transfer methods to decorate shirts.

That said, we have a few flat stock print makers here as well who have dabbled with other methods. Perhaps they are familiar with this method on garments.
I did find this to help others understand what you are talking about. http://www.jocole.net/pdf/FreezerPaperStencil.pdf

As for posting an image, it's really easy-peasy

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Tentegen

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »
I've read the back of the bottle and it seems like they try to make their Screenprinting paint versatile for almost any circumstance so i found that as a plus.

So i wanted to get some Phosphorescent paint for a hoodie project. They apparently dont have any inks for that but instead Flourescent, so i ordered that. Turns out, this line of paint was different from their regular line of screenpaint called "textile" paint. Its far thinner and is no where NEAR as opaque.

I know they had something called color extender. Searched it up, come to find out, it just makes inks thinner as well.

Been struggling with this ink since i have to put A TON of it on just to make it visible where as i only need one or two coats with their regular inks. Using it right now to custom paint my Turtle Beach x12's........ But in the time i DO go to use this for any fabrics in the future, i need to figure out what to do about it. Mixing it with their white turns it a color i dont want.

@Frog:
Thanks! I believe this is Plastoil(?)

....or then again, it might just be waterbased since Jaquard’s website DOES confirm you can water it down safely.

Super glad there's no newbie hosting restrictions. Most forums ALWAYS have that.

However im at work on a really long break and their Internet is restricting me from uploading anything.

Outside links then?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:09:23 AM by Tentegen »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Tentegen

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
Thanks mooseman. I'll have to check those links out later. Restrictive WiFi an all....

I managed to upload some pics on my 4shared account. Heh heh heh. They cant block EVERY site.
>=D
http://www.4shared.com/download/J80jve6Rce/DSC_0156.jpg?sbsr=ea774ee4a958fd288e381715fd3fcf08960&lgfp=3000

http://www.4shared.com/download/lcqkgpkyba/DSC_0030.jpg?sbsr=f1c82d6fb5d986db7e373915686fa3a7960&lgfp=3000

http://www.4shared.com/download/t6vNMCbWba/DSC_0020.jpg?sbsr=d824f4e97f6777337b2dd99e22bc2a36960&lgfp=3000

http://www.4shared.com/download/mukGUPpcba/DSC_0167.JPG?sbsr=864acb881be556ca1a6b0e37125e657a960&lgfp=3000

To be honest, I'm not here for just ONE general question, but more to the end of just general inquiry, enlightenment, and seeing what professional tricks and methods i can infuse with my already unorthodoxed method of doing things.

I try my hand at anything that wont break my wallet that i have a feeling i can pull off. I am still learning by trial and error on how to use Procion MX, found out the hard way that the 3D Tulip paint does NOT mix well with Jaquard’s screenpaint, Speedball cracks like acrylic and Jaquard’s doesnt. Still havent figured out why.

Paper cutters are A GREAT HELP if you do the freezer paper method when using simple designs....but if you've ever seen my art, my desire is to pull off more complicated designs.....and when factoring that in, it becomes more labor to put those little pieces into place than i can morally reflect in any charge for labor.

I hope with this site i can find out stuff BEFORE messing up my projects.  ;D

P.S: on my phone. This message took an entire hour to make. Lost the entire body of this message twice. Hooray me.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Well I see the talent is there and the will, getting the right terms and equipment your going to go far, you are doing what I first did many years ago when I first got into this biz, calling ink paint LOL.  I remember calling a supply company and ask about ordering some paint (Ink) and the person told me to check with Lowe's ,Home Depot etc ;D.  Hey good luck plenty folks here are willing to help ya.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
Well I see the talent is there and the will, getting the right terms and equipment your going to go far, you are doing what I first did many years ago when I first got into this biz, calling ink paint LOL.  I remember calling a supply company and ask about ordering some paint (Ink) and the person told me to check with Lowe's ,Home Depot etc ;D.  Hey good luck plenty folks here are willing to help ya.

Nope Darryl, this stuff is correctly called paint
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/textile-color.html

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Tentegen

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
Yeah.....ive noticed that. But its so weird to call this brand ink. Especially when in the manner i use it, it IS "paint". I would have figured that the TRUE professional grade stuff doesnt come in a jar.

Not sure what exactly I'd be expecting, but I'm sure Jaquard’s aint it. Tried to do a forum s3arch about Jaquard’s and to my shock, nothing came up. So that tells me that you guys use something more than just my $7 ink.

Side note: cant believe they told you to go to Lowe's for fabric paint. Super mean seeing as how they WOULD HAVE KNOWN that if you have any HOPES of finding ANY sort of FABRIC paint EVER, you'd be better off starting your search at Walmart at least for the Tulip paint...

That was just cold.

Ive got ideas in my head for many different looks but i try to go for more than just t-shirts obviously. I dont know if a screenpress will help with me even if i DID have the throwaway funds and space for one because im more fascinated with designs on pants.

Not sure if anyone's cornered the market on that.

Another thing, is it possible to use these inks as though you were painting a canvas??

It was THIS question that I asked that i got ignored over at t-shirt forums.

I've been wondering for the longest time that whether this was simply an unexplored method that not alot of people post about......or is it due to maybe the way the inks cure, they cant be layered due to either they might crack with multiple layers (a problem that shows up every now and then with me) or maybe once they cure, they dont take on additional layers well?

Or maybe the ink will cure just fine and they only crack sometimes becausi just dont have a hot enough heat source.

I was hoping to get true feedback about this since from the lack of peiple doung the same thing, i feel as though im spinning my wheels.

Even when i DO see someone that went the same avenue i did, it was at a convention and the result CLEARLY looked handmade....if you catch my drift.

As much as i would have loved to, i have yet to sell a single thing with the exception of one hoodie. The thing is, i am VERY committed to quality. If it starts to come out where the imperfections are to the point i feel no one will buy it, i lose heart and tend not to finish it. But also, um an artist. Im my own worst critic.

So it may not even BE bad.  But becauseI can see it, i feel that the customer would see it too. The only thing i could sell is the grey hoodie and the jean jacket.......buuuuut those are one of a kind and i cant part with them for selfish reasons.

My situation is such a mess....
-_-;

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
  NazDar does (or at least used to many moons ago) sell air-dry textile inks. I used to use
them 40 or so years ago... screen printed shirts and carefully hung them on hangers all
over the rafters of my dad's old shop. If these inks are still available they could probably
be "painted" on like on a canvas.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
LOL my mistake on terms, but nope I was looking for plastisol ink and called it paint because I was new and didn't know the correct term, Dick Blick was my go to supply when I first jumped in the biz and they sold waterbase inks which to me was paint LOL.  Still your at the right place to learn some things, some of these guys invented some of this stuff they are so old LOL just joking. 

Now I see what your doing, almost like airbrushing,but with paint, cool, to much work for me, I couldn't sit still long enough to draw a straight line down a shirt.

darryl
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:18:53 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »
Welcome, as already said, nice folks here. It may benefit you to watch some very basic screenprinting videos on youtube, even if not exactly what you have in mind, as that gives you at least a better jumping off point. If you are just cutting stencils to paint through (called friskets I think, and air-brushing term,) there are many problems to overcome that screen printing solve by it's very nature. i.e., control of the flow of the paint/ink, repeatability and more. Then you build a jig or two to accommodate what you're actually working on so you can go faster with good results. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but keep asking, there's a lot of help here...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »
Where n OH are you located? There are several of us here that you could come and visit which would accomplish a lot in a very short amount of time.
Getting few screens, squeegees and the rest of the stuff you need to get started is pretty cheap. I bet for a $100 or so you could start down the right path with plastisol or water based inks. If you are willing to drive around a little bit, you can probably even pick up some leftovers and get most of the stuff you need. We just threw away gallons of ink last week, all different colors. It's probably still sitting in the dumpster. We also have few manual size screens you could pick up for next to nothing.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
I read from your post that you're trying to be cost effective and frugal in your efforts.

That's fine, but.....time is money. 

If you're only doing these for your own pleasure, enjoyment, and have loads of idle time, that's one thing and it's cool to create things on a shoestring. 

But if you're trying to produce any of this for profit, making a meager investment could start producing things to sell and spend far less time doing so.

I'd steer clear of plastisol unless you have a way of getting the entire ink layer heated just over 310-325 degrees.  If not, waterbase (air dry) is likely your immediate target.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Tentegen

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
We just threw away gallons of ink last week, all different colors. It's probably still sitting in the dumpster.

I-I just cried a little on the inside.

You just throw away magic, dreams and awesomeness so willingly???

(Thats what paint is to me. Im weird. and kinda immature I guess... )
(paint is precious and must be protected at all costs.)

I'd love to run into some stuff. I've always wondered what it would be like to have a printing press. I actually DID try to work under someone that HAD a screen printing businness one time.

I met him through my sister. He was joined with one other guy. The second guy seemed like a Space Cadet if you know what I mean. He didnt contribute much besides emotional support and maybe some funds here and there I guess. When I got around to show the first guy my art work
(after he took his time getting around to talking to me) he seemed mildly surprised and said that we could try to get something going. So, I tried to give 110% into it reguardless of how under enthused he was. I figure I could just impress him with my skill alone. Thought I was doing good. I told him that we could set up a website so potential clients could find out about his business easier...so I set him up a wordpress site.

After that, as he showed me his store
(It was a run down little place but it had potential to be renovated into something better) I sat down and started making a (in my terms) simple graphic in photoshop that he could sell to future female customers. it was a quick graphic that I didnt mind parting with:

He already had a SOOPER SIMPLISTIC designing method and most of his stuff just had text or something about "repping"
(reperesenting) some obscure neighborhood that only those that live in that area would know about.

It basically was something to be desired.

He left out of town, supposively temporarily and I tried to stay in contact with him. I knew that I could have learned alot under him......but he just seemed half interested....and then that was that.

In you guy's opinion, what would you make of a situation like that?
If someone DID show you a nice portfolio, and wanted to learn under your tutelage, would you accept them?
I've since went to another screenprinting shop, but then that guy said he wasnt hiring. I honestly want to learn about it more than I wanted to seek just your typical hourly pay position there because I know my skills in art will eventually make me a valued member to have in a business. Maybe I'm just naive in thinking that I could potentially make a difference in offering the owner his own line of designs....I mean, I have yet to hear about something like that...........unless you guys know something I dont.

I've thought about the situation from time to time and tried to figure if I did a misstep there. I attached some images of alternative ways he could have made the items. When I showed him this, I was hoping he could see his own potential line and we could have started talking about a business relationship. alas, bygones are bygones I guess.

Not sure if its gonna show up in the message body.

@Sbrem:
Thanks so much. I didnt think some of that would translate to what I needed but I will now.

@Screenxpress:
well......yeah. I am doing it as a hobby. I've never considered making this a life goal. career path? It would be nice....but with the amount of stuff I dabble into due to my art, I tend to get squirrly. I love Concept work for video games, paint on shirts, tye dye, logo design (dont do a whole lot of that), and just general Fanart of games in general. It would be something that I would be comfortable with doing getting a decent profit from it.....but not really an end goal.

but I could see myself getting a shirt press if it didnt break my wallet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for my message bodies being so long. Its really great that I finally have a place that I can ask all these questions that I've been wondering so long. Also, Its super awesome that I am ALSO talking to possible Industry leaders, successful business owners as well as enthusiasts with years worth of experience. I'm glad I made this account!

P.S: I have no experience with Airbrushing. but how much effort would it be to get into that? Been wondering that too.
I think Im asking too many questions.... >_>

P.P.S: This is how I'd PREFER to post. using a computer now.