Author Topic: 2 washout booths/ filter?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
2 washout booths/ filter?
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
hey guys! I'm reaaaally confused when it comes to the whole washout booth situation. I understand people use the washout booth to reclaim screens, and then the emulsion/removers/degreaser runs into a filter/tank. But, then what? i have yet to see what the filtration system actually does and what it looks like after? Does it make everything into a solid? or is it still liquid? and how do you dispose of it?

I'm going to purchase this washout booth but what else would i need to fully be environmentally ready?

http://www.screenprinting.com/Ryonet-KB-32-Washout-Booth#.Vo21bJMrJBw

- also do people have 2 washout booths or use the same one for everything? i.e one washout booth for reclaiming, and another for washing out the stencil.

I'm also in the market for a round edge emulsion coater, will this suffice ?

http://www.screenprinting.com/dual-edge-emulsion-scoop-coater-16#.Vo22PZMrJBw

POTENTIAL HOT TIP

ok, so i tried to get myself used to the pull flood, push stroke, but i can't
so i've been thinking about how people complain about their fingers and the potential carpel tunnel syndrome and what not but never seem to realize its all potentially stemming from their WRISTS.

I'm going to my local bowling alley's store in a couple days and I'm going to try to implement the gloves that bowlers use to keep their wrists and fingers straight.

The gloves I'm talking about are these:

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/accessories/bowlingball.com/10022/kool-kontrol-wrist-positioner-right-handed.html?gclid=CMD-8Ou-lsoCFQ8yaQod8TMDYg

or even these with the METAL splint

https://www.bowling.com/products/robbys-revs-ii-right-hand.htm

I know you guys can't imagine this being sufficient, trust me i have my major doubts too, but with so many printers plagued with bad wrists/fingers, i hope this will get the ball rolling (nice pun) as far as finding a solution exclusive to us pull printers.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
Re: 2 washout booths/ filter?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
Equipment you show is good. Chemicals and filters after tank have more to do with being green.
Many printers like me have been printing for well more than a decade without carpel tunnel,
so don't worry about that just yet. Splints will likely just get in the way.
Sounds like you may have to work on the old arm strength.

Try to hold out arms and move/pull back at your waist, not pulling arms only while stroking.
Thin your inks some if you can, it will help ink flow easier if your wrist, hand and fingers need building up.
It helps to push some strokes after pulling for a long time. Not on the same print though.
Also, get your shoulders over screen, helping stroke taking pressure off hands.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:27:40 PM by GaryG »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
First off, I pulled the squeegee for more than 20 years, and changed to a push, and now couldn't imagine going back.
As for the bowling aids, over the years, I have seen fellow workers wearing them or something similar. Then again, back in the day when I worked for other people and had co workers, an even better solution for worn-out arms, small automatic presses were not nearly as common.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:04 PM »
Switch to smesh and your print pressure will go way down.

As far as what the filters are doing... the most important thing is catching the emulsion solids during reclaim.  They will build up in pvc pipes and eventually clog your plumbing.

2 sinks vs one is a good idea to avoid contaminating your freshly degreased screens, but certainly not required if you're careful.

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »
great suggestions! yes I definitely found that even taking a step back during my squeegee pull and allowing my whole body to bring the squeegee back didn't strain my hands and arms in the long run.

and about the washout booth filters...
do you guys recommend any sort of filtration system, is there a "go-to" one or should I just purchase whichever from where ever?

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
Bump for a filter kit suggestion

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:43 AM »
Have you searched (or browsed) the Equipment section for threads about filters? Search function is weak, but depending on your starting page and search terms can bring up a lot of previous threads.
Here's one that shows some really cool BIY stuff http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,14360.msg138706.html#msg138706
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »
Thank you for that thread Frog! Exactly what I needed