Author Topic: Film with a backing sheet? Epson Crystal Clear  (Read 953 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Film with a backing sheet? Epson Crystal Clear
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
So in our ongoing woes with our brand new T3270 printing films at different lengths, Epson is recommending film with a backer to ensure the feed is accurate.  The length issue is due to the feed/sensor feeding the incorrect amount of media when feeding through non-printing areas of a film.  It does not appear to be an issue when the print head is making a pass.   So the hypothesis is that an opaque backer will resolve this. 

The only brand of film I can find with a backing sheet is the Epson Crystal Clear.  Epson Preferred Tech would not/could not inform me of its dmax/dmin unfortunately.  Does anyone have experience with this media for film positives?

And does anyone know of a film that comes on a roll with a backer? 

Thanks in advance and any suppliers carrying this feel free to also email me.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Film with a backing sheet? Epson Crystal Clear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
What brand rip are you using because i am not having an problems with mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
Are you using a milky waterproof film?  Might be able to sacrifice some d min to get it to read

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
Weird.  I haven't had any issues other than networking.  I would double check that your roll is loaded correctly.  In the mean time you could run a .01 thick line down the edge of the film till you figure out the problem.  I would try call accurip and see if they can help.   Also chromeline may have some suggestions as well.  What film brand is giving you this problem?   

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Accurip and Charlie was a great help.  Tried fixxons, chromaline accuart 3 and dark star film,  same problem on all.  Chromaline tried to help but were barking up the wrong tree,  as I was,  focusing on the roll tension.  It's actually a feed issue when the printer feeds thru non printing areas of the media.

It's clearly an issue with the printer, maybe the multi sensor or feed mechanisms.  Epson won't fix it as is but after it inevitably happens with their media I'm going to lean on them to send a tech with the appropriate replacement parts or swap out the printer.

Underpressure yer sharp,  that's the fix I developed after weeks of troubleshooting- 0.005pt line at the very left edge of all films,  printer won't resolve it but it forces the head to travel and keeps the feed correct.

Otherwise happy with the printer,  just disappointed that a printer in this class would be so off and the maker squirm out of correcting it.   I think we just have very poor luck with equipment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk