Author Topic: Another discharge question  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Another discharge question
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »
I have a customer that wants to do their logo large (a circle no less) on the backs of pique knit golf shirts (Jericho brand, no style number) I've warned them that plastisol is not going to come out so nice, and would be a big old bath mat. So I thought that maybe discharge might be able to address this better. The shirt is going to be an Athletic Heather/Sport Gray/Oxford, whatever. Oh yeah, one PMS match too. We print a ton for this company, and want to come up with a solution that makes a good print and keeps them happy. Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline DanK

Re: Another discharge question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
Hey Steve,

Waterbase or discharge does work well on pique...  One issue you may find is that you will not get a full reaction from the discharge on those sport grey colored shirts due to the poly content in them, therefore, your colors would not be completely opaque and color matching would be very hard to hit.  A black water base print on them should be fine, most colors of ink darker than the shirt color should be fine, but if you're trying to color match lighter colors on that garment, you'll likely have issues.  You should explain the process clearly to the customer, let them know you can do it with water base, but let them know the limitations...  Another quick fix would be to get them off those athletic colors, and get them to go with a silver or a charcoal color or something...
Dan Holzer

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
Thanks Dan, they are sending us a sample of the shirt. The poly in the shirt to make a heather I felt would be an issue. The colors are bright green and white... I'll continue to press them on a better shirt choice. These are folks who always know better than us, but at the same time always appreciate our input, and will often follow our advice. They had us print 2000 shirts once the way we had advised not to go, and when they got them, relented and had us do 2000 more the correct way (9 colors instead of 5). Thanks again,

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
A compromise might be a green discharge PC/Base ink with the white in plastisol. Depends on the logo. Simple testing will tell.