Author Topic: Accurip curves setting.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Accurip curves setting.
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
Manual printer (temporarily i hope).

I've adjusted my Accurip curves in the past. I don't have a total understanding, but closer than before. Attached is how I've been running the curve for the last year.

I've used the curve with 2 purposes:
1 smoothly reduce the amount of ink we lay down to correct for gains. (the proper use, i think)
2 to not print the dots/holes that we can't expose/hold/print anyway (below 5% and above 95% roughly)

2, as I am beginning to understand is NOT achieved will with curve manipulation. Telling AccuRip that a 3% dot should look like a 5% dot kinda sorta does that, but it also skew the curve north of that and makes my 10% and 20% curves a tad HIGH then they should be trending a little LESS.

What is the proper way to achieve not printing those dots when printing? (Mostly from Corel Draw)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Accurip curves setting.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:48:16 PM »
AccuRIP has a test film that you print out; then, each block (5% increments) needs to be read with a densitometer, to see what it really is (10% might actually be 8% or 13%, and so on). When you get the readings back, put the corresponding readings into the boxes; AccuRIP will compensate using those readings; let's say your 30% block came out 27%, AR will bring it up to 30% as it should be, and so on for each tone...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »
AccuRIP has a test film that you print out; then, each block (5% increments) needs to be read with a densitometer, to see what it really is (10% might actually be 8% or 13%, and so on). When you get the readings back, put the corresponding readings into the boxes; AccuRIP will compensate using those readings; let's say your 30% block came out 27%, AR will bring it up to 30% as it should be, and so on for each tone...

Steve

I've heard that that functionality has been remove on the latest version. Con somebody confirm this?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
yes i can confirm that option is no longer available on current versions.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:23 PM »
Confirmed here as well. I was told by the developer I did not need it nor did I need to linearize my printer. Went to Wasatch and have not looked back.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
Good to know if I ever have to upgrade...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Good to know if I ever have to upgrade...

Steve

they'll force you to before you're ready.. part of their new 'income' strategy.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
We have the latest version and the linearization is there.  Who actually has black pearl installed and doesn't have it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
Yep it looks that way, they are moving us like cattle whether we won't to or not, and I don't if it's more about money or the control they have (the Cloud ::))
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
We run Black Pearl with an Epson 1430.  The linearization settings are definitely still there.  We don't use them.  Never had the time or a densitometer to set them. 

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
I cant speak for the newest version. Mine was a couple of years ago and I was speaking directly to the developer. His exact words to me were that I did not need to linearize my printer because their product was as accurate as it needed to be for screen printing. I even showed them a pic of my linearized film before the upgrade and my film afterwords. He insisted I still did not need it and that this function was removed at that time of my new upgrade. Thats why I had to go to another RIP. It looks as though they listened to the backlash and added it back in. If it is in fact there it is still a good program as long as you can edit the settings.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin