Author Topic: Design Fee  (Read 3606 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Design Fee
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
I should know the answer to this but I don't,  what is the difference in pricing custom logo's and just designing for t-shirts.  I know about doing custom art for a T-shirt and charging for it, but if your doing a custom logo for a company what would be your starting price to even pick up a pencil/or pen tool.  We've been ask and have created company logo's and I know I've charge what I would for my regular t-shirt art, I know this can't be correct because we've gotten art from design firms and the customer had to pay more money for them to release the art to us.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Design Fee
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
we start @ $500.00 for logo creation. It's time consuming  and usually has lots of back and forth. When it's complete, we hand them a jump drive with vector files, jpgs, all sorts of file types so they now "own" the design. We have noticed a few things from the higher price point, it separates the tire kickers from the real businesses we want to work with. If they spend 500 for logo, usually they aren't afraid to drop a few K on quality business marketing, vehicle wraps and other products we offer... works for us anyway..
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
An ACTUAL Logo starts at $500 like Homer said.  That would be vectorized and ready to go and would include a certain amount of research into their industry and their company.  It would also usually involve two rounds of revisions, and usually 2 or 3 separate directions with the first round.  It would also be designed with an overall identity in mind beyond just the logo, and usually would be provided in color and black and white.

Now, I have also done plenty of "logos" for the plumber down the street types where I just charged my standard hourly rate, but those clients are usually a lot different from a company actually looking for the beginnings of a corporate identity.  They are usually much simpler and much less picky and often come with instructions like "i dont care about anything but it being red and I want it to include a wrench or something".

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
I also get more than my usual $40 hourly rate on logo design, but I also don't attract the corporate types who will pay $500 and up. Most who I know that would seek that kind of thing go to established design houses and not "the shirt guy"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
In a way Frog your right, but after dealing with some of the design house art work, it's dam near best to start at the printer at least we know what is T-shirt/embroidery friendly and can run on paper products with no problems.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
In a way Frog your right, but after dealing with some of the design house art work, it's dam near best to start at the printer at least we know what is T-shirt/embroidery friendly and can run on paper products with no problems.

couldn't have said it better myself, and my artist can smoke an design house artist around here!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:55 PM »

couldn't have said it better myself, and my artist can smoke an design house artist around here!

But logo design is a clearly different specialization in its own right.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
It is Frog that's why I ask the question, I know my customers are not willing to pay us the bucks that they will pay a design house and I think we as screen printers give them more than what they are paying for.  I've had client's pay as much as $600.00 bucks for logo work then come to me for printing with a jpeg for art prep LOL.