Author Topic: Circular Saw Blade help  (Read 2332 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Circular Saw Blade help
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Hey can anyone help me create an easy circular saw blade in Illy, I know there's got to be a simple way to do this without drawing each and every little blade tip

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Circular Saw Blade help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »
Google it D. Find a nice large one and auto trace it.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
I've got one if you want to shoot me your email.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
I was going to suggest clipart, but then remembered this popping up before, and I know that I once saw a method of doing this, duplicating and positioning the teeth relatively easily in Illy and DRAW. I am also interested in the technique, perhaps for future projects.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
@ Homer yeah I thought about doing that, but I still would like to know an easy way to do this, hey Mcguire I send you an email.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
Ok after a little monkeying around with it I figured it out in Illy, make a circle with the ellipse tool then go to the effects and use distort & transform and use the zig zig  then expand it then use the twist tool your good to go.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
Thought I'd chip in here with a technique that's a bit more predictable than distort and transform effects, in case it helps someone:
1. Draw a circle,  and then a polygon centred in the circle with the amount of points matching the required repeated elements (in this case saw teeth).
2. Draw one element/sawtooth relative to the circle centre.
Select the element to copy/repeat (saw tooth), then select the rotate tool
3. Click once on the centre of the circle to set the rotation point, click a second time on one point of the polygon, and click a third time on the next polygon point over while holding down the alt key (copy element).
4. Assuming all has gone correct then you have 2 elements now at the right spacing apart from each other. Now the trick is to hit CTRL D to repeat the copy until the element has repeated right around the circle.

It's a pretty quick technique once you've done it a few times, but I'm sure there is also a better way that i don't know of too.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:13 AM »
there are several ways to do this but what we found useful over time is having templates that divide a circle into equal amounts by degree.
here are a couple from our files . To use this in the example  we would simply draw one saw tooth, place the center of rotation on the center of the template , copy paste move by degree , etc, etc  see attached files

PS better PDF attached
mooseman
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:31:23 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »
Make one tooth and then use distribute function along path should work. It would allow you to control the spacing.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »
What about dragging the single sawtooth element into the brushes menu and making a pattern brush? Then apply the brush to a circle and play with stroke and some of the brush settings to get the right circular saw look...
Very quick way to get something rough down but more troublesome  to tweak for an precise look.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
Now that I had a moment to look, check this out, pretty straight ahead...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHNGSPNmks

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't