Author Topic: Emulsion Question  (Read 4794 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Emulsion Question
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Just got a sample last week of ChromaBlue Pure Polymer, did a few screens and notice it is pretty solid and really takes a long time to dry even this morning after a few days it's still kind of sticky with the film pos.  Any of you use this and can give me some pointers, I'm pretty happy with the HXT but I don't mine trying a new to me product never know.

d
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Emulsion Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
I don't use this one, but have pretty much used pure photopolymer high solids emulsions almost exclusively for the last ten years.
How do you dry your screens? Do you have a cabinet? Dehumidifier?
I have a dehumidifier and fan in a small cabinet and my screens are dry in an hour.
Nonetheless, even after a few days, I have learned to use a small dusting of talcum powder, to prevent sticking and subsequent ink transfer from the film (in case I may use the film again as the ink, in and of itself, does not hurt the stencil)

Some films and inks seem to more susceptible to this, but the powder pretty much makes it a moot point and allows us to use the film, ink, and emulsion we choose.

Some may call this a band-aid, but, hell, who doesn't use have band-aids in the medicine cabinet  to use when needed?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but when I looked up ChromaBlue it is in the $80+ dollar a gallon range?

We have been using Kiwo Multi-Tex with great results, no hardening on most of our jobs since they are sub 500 pieces, Waterbase, EKO, HSA, Solvent, holds up great.  We are now exposing on LED (SAATI) in 10-40 seconds, with just as good of results as MH 5K.  Best part is, you can get it for $49 a gallon from GSG or possibly cheaper if you shop it.

We went from an expensive emulsion, to a much lower cost one when this came out and have the same results.  (Better in reclaim)  We were using a $80+ dollar emulsion previous to this, so since we go through a lot of emulsion it is quite the cost savings.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
@ Frog I have a cabinet with a fan build in, but no dehumidfier, with the HXT emulsion it dries in 30 minutes to an hour, guess I'll head over to the dollar store for some baby powder.
Thanks Zane I might try the Kiwo, sounds like it works about the same as the HXT

Offline Larry Tywater

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
If you have issues with inkjet film sticking to the screen, after vacuum and exposure I would recommend trying Chromaline's Chroma Tech TD emulsion. It is a pure photopolymer with 50% solids, for plastisol printing.  It was designed to combat the problem of film sticking to the screen. Contact Chromaline and they will be happy to give you a sample.
Larry Tywater
Chromaline Screen Print Products
Technical Sales Rep
Southeast/Southcentral/ Texas
www.chromaline.com 800-328-4261

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
Darryl, what ever you do, don't try and do a water based job with Chromablue, WILL NOT WORK. I have a new favorite for an all in one emulsion now. Cost is the same as Chromablue, it's a purephotopolymer, but with a post expose you can run discharge and wb for tens of thousands of prints, no hardeners needed. T-9 but Murikami. Freakin awesome stuff man. I'll be doing a write up about it soon, but it's the beezneezz!!! Halftone work with it is so much better now. My I-Image images awesome on it and I am able to hold every single stinkin dot on it. High solids, very thick, 1/1 coating will work with about anything, that's what I'm doing on all my S mesh, and any T Mesh we still use, doing a 2 and 1. I think this is the best emulsion I've tried yet. Super fast exposing too. The times are just about right on with Chromablue which is what we used to use for plastisol. I can't say enough about how great this stuff is. We don't get 10,000 and 20,000 piece jobs, but there are plenty of shops hitting those numbers in water base with the use of T-9.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
You all should try the cryocoat we are using..... 1 emulsion for everything, our sim process, spot color, hsa, waterbase, discharge, plastic, etc..... This emulsion does everything we need, straight out of the bucket its good to go
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Whats this Cryocoat you talk about here Danny, never heard of it until now

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »
Whats this Cryocoat you talk about here Danny, never heard of it until now

http://www.screenprinting.com/green-galaxy-cryocoat-emulsion-gallon#.VvGp3GQrLXU

Price comes down quite a bit when you buy in bulk from them

Danny Gruninger

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
cryocoat = rebranded/recolored saati phu.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »

With some mods - I went through multiple modifications improving coating ability and viscosity where I like to see it..... So while it's very close it's not the same

Danny Gruninger

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »

With some mods - I went through multiple modifications improving coating ability and viscosity where I like to see it..... So while it's very close it's not the same

does that help with the super-thick build that the phu normally exhibits?

also, how do you feel about the exposure times vs the red or blue colors?

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

does that help with the super-thick build that the phu normally exhibits?

also, how do you feel about the exposure times vs the red or blue colors?

Yeah, I will say I was not much of a fan of the standard PHU when we put it through it's paces. The phu2 was improved but we could not hold the detail that we could with our dual cures. We found that the green color actually improved the resolution compared to the standard phu colors and the viscosity mods that I made I feel help how well it coats. Also I worked on dialing in the viscosity to work well with thin thread mesh and t thread mesh. With some of the previous emulsions we had been using we would see huge swings in EOM from thin thread to standard thread and this emulsion has helped bridge that gap. We've been using it for several months now on everything we do in our shop. There's nothing magical about it, but for my shop it's awesome to have 1 emulsion that can be used for any type of ink or project we throw at it. Nothing like getting an hsa job ripping on press only to see the guys in the coating room used the wrong emulsion and we have breakdown a few hundred pcs in. Cryocoat has eliminated all headaches for us as far as that goes.
Danny Gruninger

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »
ChromaBlue is a great emulsion for medium to low details. We've used it for 2 years, thousands of prints. It can hold its own on the 55/60lpi stuff, but not as well as other emulsions.

We did have the same problems you are. You absolutely need a DE-humidifier and a humidity gauge in your room/cabinet. Takes us about half a day to get 90 or so screens completely dry.

ChromaBlue we had mixed results with it sticking to our exposure glass and our film. Keep humidity to a minimum and try not to have real hot glass. Switching to an LED exposure unit helped us tremedously.

We are however shopping for a new dual cure...

We absolutely love WR-14, but we can't figure out how to get it to reclaim as easy as our chromablue. ChromaBlue literally melts off the screen...even after thousand piece runs/cleanings etc.

I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:06 AM »
Water resistant emulsions Do Not reclaim as easily as standard emulsions.

The WR-14 will not melt, but it will still reclaim just fine.... you just have to have a little patience ;)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.