Author Topic: CTS ink  (Read 2956 times)

Offline AAMike

CTS ink
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
We are using Diamond Chase Digital's Ink in our CTS machine. Does anyone know what brand of inks are compatible to switch out in a pinch?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: CTS ink
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »
Be careful of switching out for others that are not specked out for your specific machine. May cause far more trouble ($) than it's worth. As an example, for M&R inks, some people think we just want to sell you our ink because we make a profit on our inks ... but our ink are specifically designed so that they flow best for our machine and heads as well as sets best on the screen at very specific head temps, voltage and neg pressure settings. If you toss in some other type of ink in ours, it can damage heads, halt production and cost more money and time that you want to spend. So I would imagine its similar in other DTS machines. They are not just like any digital paper printer.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
Be careful of switching out for others that are not specked out for your specific machine. May cause far more trouble ($) than it's worth.  our ink are specifically designed so that they flow best for our machine and heads as well as sets best on the screen at very specific head temps blah blahahh blabbibity blah.. 

That is the same thing every printer manufacturer has said for the last 20ish years now.. inkjet.. solvent.. CTS.. DTG it don't matter what printer is be, it's always

"our ink is a special and unique snowflake that can only be used in this machine"

Something tells me it's all the same.. it's how it's delivered that makes it different.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
I can tell you for sure that the I-Image and I-Image ST inks are different.

even just shaking the bottle and you can tell the viscosity is different.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »
Listen to what Dan said!  I can tell you from using only M&R inks in ours, even some of theirs is better than their others, so I would only use what they recommend.  Big troubles if you don't.  BIG TROUBLES.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
That is probably somewhat true...the fact is there are different formulations between dye and pigment based...making some of the incompatible with others.  I have thought about going with a different ink in our CTS machine, but since I haven't had any issues changing would probably not gain me much other than saving $200 a year.  Maybe I could get a darker ink, but I am still not even sure about that.

I personally wouldn't go mixing inks.  It's not worth it in a $20-50k printer.  In a cheaper Epson desktop that you can buy new heads for around $400, it's worth it.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Side topic.. but what is the difference between I-Image ST "K"and "D" inks?

Always wondered that...

Offline AAMike

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
I am going to get the msds for the digital ink to determine what I am dealing with before seeking another alternative. So far I know wadjet is 375 a bottle and Diamond chase is around 300 a bottle.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »
Is it an Epson based CTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline AAMike

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »

Not sure what heads are this Datascreen CTS. The heads are nearly 3 grand a piece!

Offline Alex M

• !!!
CTS ink
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »
It's a Zund drive.
Based on seeing the specs online they are using an Epson print head in it. The resolutions are a giveaway.

Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
Side topic.. but what is the difference between I-Image ST "K"and "D" inks?

Always wondered that...

humidity I think is the reason they have K and D inks.  We started with K, then D2, now D2a!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
Whats the humidity where you are?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 07:16:25 PM »
high humidity here, very high!

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »

Not sure what heads are this Datascreen CTS. The heads are nearly 3 grand a piece!

Never heard of that one before.  Googled it.  Looks a whole lot like the Richmond DirectJet.

...either way, I've got two Douthitt CTS...I can't even get a refurb head for $3k.  It's $5k no matter what.

Luckily they seem to last 14-18 months of heavy use.  I had a Kiwo iJet2 that would chew through the same head in 3 to 7 months.

...still better than films.