Author Topic: Prints per screen  (Read 995 times)

Offline andrewmichaels

Prints per screen
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:55:21 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to screen printing. How many prints on average would I be able to get from 1 photo emulsion made screen before the image becomes blurred.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Prints per screen
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:50:07 AM »
Depending on a variety of factors 1 - 10,000.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
blurred? Do you mean, when it starts to lose tension, in this case, loses a lot of tension so the mesh moves in the direction of the squeegee while you're pulling (or pushing as the case may be)? Is the frame secure? Is the platen secure? Static or retensionable frames? We all need a few more details to help you, and help you will get here...

Steve

Good one Sonny...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »
factors that will matter:

- what ink system (plastisol, waterbase, discharge, hsa, solvent) will all have different characteristics
- emulsion type
- emulsion hardening
- mesh type and manufacturing technique
- initial screen tension -- was it in the manufacturers suggested range or outside (above or below) of it.
- are you looking at 1 color or multicolor (shouldn't matter, but a single color 'screen' will likely last even longer than a multicolor due to the fact that screen tension isn't quite as important)
- off contact
- printing technique -- are you printing and 'dragging' the mesh with a squeegee at 100 psi, or are you stroking at 15 psi.

there's probably even more.

I've heard stories of 180,000 waterbase prints on a set of screens before... and the people telling the stores I trust and believe.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:07 AM »
Indeed................we did studies at Precision Screen Machines on a 3,000,000 f/b run for Newport cigarettes (Alive with Pleasure!)

Offline andrewmichaels

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
Thanks you all, I get the picture. I thought it had a finite number of prints, good to  know that I can go on and on.  ;D I hadn't bought it yet and just wanted to know the longevity in general.