Author Topic: The Age Old Question, Tajima or Barudan...  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
The Age Old Question, Tajima or Barudan...
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
Looking at taking the plunge on a new 4 head, will be used 90%  for left chest and hats, Barudan is quoting at about 15% more than Tajima, they say they are a heavier, tougher, better built machine.

Are they worth it over a Tajima?

All feedback appreciated, not interested in other brands at this point.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: The Age Old Question, Tajima or Barudan...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »
last time i checked they were the same price...i guess that's changed.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.  It's like Honda vs. Toyota.  They are both great machines.

Offline AAMike

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
We have Barudan machines and are happy with their performance. But it is a coin flip for sure. I might base it on the closest service/distributor.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
Can't go wrong either way, I went Barudan and I am thrilled with them. They say the Barudans do better on small text but most would say almost no differences between the machines past that.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
Tajima here.  Biased opinion as I used to work for Hirsch.  Both are great but I would go Tajima.  We do a lot of hats now and I have seen some from the vendor who did them before we brought them in house.  Ours looked tighter and cleaner.  The other vendor used Barudan.  Could be user abilities as there are adjustments for a crisper tighter look.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Barudan here, and I have used both!  Better lettering with Barudan, and they will match the price.  Pressure them.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:37:45 PM »
The biggest problem with Tajima is Hirsch.  That being said, you shouldn't need much service after the sale and there are so many techs that work on Tajimas that you don't ever need to call Hirsch

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »
I tried to buy a Tajima. Hirsch did not call me back to make the sale. They were not that interested in selling a 4 head I guess. Not only that when I was looking at both a Tajima Tech even said that a Barudan does small lettering better. We do a lot of that so the choice was easy. Tajima is still an awesome machine and a lot of it boils down to goo digitizing. Sh!tty digitizing can be made to look worse the more accurate the machine is and thats why you need to digitize to the brand of machine you use. There are subtle differences between them.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
I do agree about Hirsch hurting Tajima.  However, we have had our for 10yrs now and had a tech come out to service our machine last year just because.  We had the machine at that time for 9yrs, replaced one nylon bevel gear and a reciprocator (which I replaced both).  Other than that it was just usual maintenance on our part.  The tech said the machine was in great shape, everything looked good.  He did update the machines software which made a huge difference.  Tajima's are easy to work on. They run and run and run.   No complaints here.  Either Tajima or Baradun would be a good choice.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
Hirsch is reason enough for me to make a point not to purchase one.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »
Whoever has the closest service center to you.
I have Tajima since 2009, never an issue. Barudan is also great machine. When I bought it, it came down to the price. At that time, Tajima was lightly in trouble so they had a much better deal than Barudan was offering.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
We are having ours tuned up today, we ran it hard the last couple of months and the tech will be in the area, so I figured why not.  Never a bad idea to get a great tech in to look a machine over.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
We are having ours tuned up today, we ran it hard the last couple of months and the tech will be in the area, so I figured why not.  Never a bad idea to get a great tech in to look a machine over.

Jay?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »

Jay?

Yup...I doubt I will ever pass on a chance to have him tune the machine.  His work is just phenomenal.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »

Jay?

Yup...I doubt I will ever pass on a chance to have him tune the machine.  His work is just phenomenal.

He is the man!  I gave Shellys parents our SWF single head, her mom had some issues with it pretty serious ones. He was here like 2hrs and that machine runs like new again.