Author Topic: Epson 4800 printing issues.  (Read 1521 times)

Offline projay

Epson 4800 printing issues.
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
I have an epson 4800. I replaced the photo black cartridge with a different one and now I don't get any ink at all from that cartridge.  Did print nozzle check and all colors show up fine with exceptions of the one I replaced.  Any suggestions would be great.

Please call if you have one of these printers thansk. 316-680-7300

-Jay.

Offline squeezee

Re: Epson 4800 printing issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
What did you replace it with?  An Epson cartridge?
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline projay

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
No. another one which worked earlier....and even a new epson cartridge doesn't work.  It not sucking any ink from that #1 cartridge.

Is there a way to prime it?  Jay.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
Run a power clean cycle. It uses a lot of ink but that should prime it.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
If the cart is showing on the lcd on the printer, then yeah, run a power cleaning or two and that should get the ink running. 

If not, you may need to reset the chip on the cart.

Switching inks without purging out the lines is typically a no-no.  Not all of those inks get along when mixed together and you may have congealed ink goo stuck in the lines or worse yet, clogging the nozzles on the head.  It might be prudent to throw a cart full of cleaning solution in there and run the power cleans and then put your new cart in and run more power cleanings.  This is going to wast a lot of ink and rack up the print count on your waste tank but may be necessary. 

Good luck!

Offline projay

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »
This sounds like a expensive venture.  When I try to do a power clean it tells me that the other 7 are too low with ink. 
So it sounds like  I may have to buy and replace the other 7 cartridges in order to do this....what a way to end the week.

Any way around it?

Jay. 316-680-7300

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
Are you using the printer for films exclusively?  If so, you can replace all carts but the ones you want running black (via your rip) with cleaning solution.  We run a 4800 and this is definitely the way to go if it's a dedicated film printer.  I've found that, with Accurip in our case, running a just a single black yields good films.  The other 7 carts are filled with cleaning solution.  When we have to run power cleanings (never in normal use, but necessary if you replace a head, or do what you did) we're wasting cheap, pink fluid and not expensive OEM ink. 

Bryan at filmdirect has a good setup for this:
http://www.filmdirectonline.com/products/Single-Black-Large-Format-Ink-Kit.html]
[url]http://www.filmdirectonline.com/products/Single-Black-Large-Format-Ink-Kit.html
[/url]

Offline squeezee

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 04:57:05 AM »
I'd agree with that.  Any more than one head in use is a waste.
Have a look at the capping station, if it gets gunked-up it can break the seal that does the cleaning and eventually your heads give up.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)